A Virginia family was left in a state of shock when they returned home one day to find the walls and floors of their home spattered in blood. The Murrin family, who lives in the Ashebrooke neighborhood of Chesterfield County, told WRIC that there had been several break-ins in the area at the time, but they discovered they too were victims – or would have been, had their German shepherd not intervened.
- At first, it seemed like nothing wrong. Tristan Murrin, who was the first family member to open the door of the house, said he didn’t notice anything amiss when he first got home. “We didn’t see anything wrong nothing at the front door,” he recalled.
- That all changed when they opened the door. Once they got inside, it was clear that something very serious had gone down as there was blood splattered everywhere. “We noticed something when we walked in, when I walked in with my mother and there is blood spots on the ground, we looked upstairs and you see trails of blood coming from upstairs going all the way down,” Tristan said. Not only that, but the entire upstairs was splattered with even more blood.
- The family’s pet German shepherd was on guard dog duty that day. Tristan said that while their dog had never been violent before and in fact is beloved by the neighborhood kids, the pet obviously didn’t take kindly to an intruder trying to come into his home. “My dog, he’s a pretty big dog, it’s a larger German shepherd,” Tristan explained. “He plays with the kids, the cul-de-sac knows him. They know him as big dog, the community loves him, the kids come up to him and want to touch him and play with him.”
- Nothing was stolen and thankfully, the dog is okay. Tristan added that while the family has never trained the dog to attack intruders, he’s happy that the family pet was there to stand its ground. He’s also happy that the dog is safe, of course. “I think the dog did its job. He knew that someone was not supposed to be in my house and no one was home and he knows that he wasn’t supposed to be in there and he was doing something that he wasn’t supposed to be doing and so he knew to act upon it,” he said.
- As for what became of the intruder, no one knows. However, it’s likely that due to the amount of blood that was left around the family home, the suspect will likely have needed some pretty serious treatment.