A father killed his 11-year-old daughter and then himself in a heartbreaking murder-suicide. Kenbian Ng shot his daughter Angela before taking his own life in the same way following Angela’s diagnosis of terminal cancer of the femur which meant she would have to have her leg amputated. Authorities believe this health challenge may have led to the tragic events. The victims were identified by the Broward Medical Examiner’s Office on Tuesday, August 11.
- Angela was passionate about martial arts and other sports. It may have been that knowing his daughter wouldn’t be able to continue to practice those passions, at least not in the same way, was too much for Kenbian Ng to bear. However, taking such drastic and permanent actions was not only unnecessary, they caused even more pain.
- Angela’s mother and Kenbian’s wife was in the house when it happened. She was downstairs at the family’s house in the 14600 block of Southwest 18th Court in Davie, Florida making breakfast when she heard the bangs that would forever alter her life, according to The Sun-Sentinel.
- Kenbian Ng was struggling to cope with his little girl’s health. She had been undergoing chemotherapy and the amputation of her leg was already scheduled when her life was ended by her father. The amputation was due to take place on his 27th wedding anniversary with his wife. According to extended family members, Kenbian was always distraught and upset on the phone, but no one could have imagined what would happen.
- Neighbors knew Angela was unwell but not the details of her illness. “She said she’s been very sick,” said Thelma Napolitano, who lived across the street from the Ng family. “She said something happened to Angela. She’s in the hospital, and I don’t know when she’s coming home.” Thelma’s husband George added of Kenbian, “He was a gentleman, and to us, it’s been a terrible shock.”
- The little girl was very ill but she didn’t need to die. As Davie police spokesman Lt. Mark Leone said, the whole tragedy is just heartbreaking. “She was not going to get any better. It is such a tragic situation, a terrible situation,” he said. “It’s devastating. It’s a lose-lose situation.” Angela’s mother is understandably said to be absolutely devastated. This is just sad all the way around.