You should never do something as mundane as going to the movies or for a “romantic dinner” on a first date — that’s way too serious for your first meeting. Instead, I think getting drunk (or at least vaguely tipsy) is actually a really chill way of getting to know someone — here’s why:
- It rids you of those pesky nerves. First dates can bring on the sweats, the shakes and even make you feel a bit queasy. You want the date to go well, especially if you like the person, so it’s a good idea to have a couple of sips before you even turn up. You shouldn’t get sloppy drunk, by any means, just have a drink or two to take the edge off. When you meet your date, you’ll be calm and collected rather than feeling as though you’re about to throw up.
- It’s way more fun. Getting drunk is a blast! The tipsier you get, the less you give a crap, so you can have an absolute riot with your date if you both get your drink on. Before you know it, you’ll both be giggling like idiots and dancing the night away. What else are you going to do? Sit there talking about politics over coffee? Boring!
- You get to see their true character. At least to an extent. On a first date, people can be guarded or they project a certain image of themselves. If your date is drunk and therefore super relaxed, then it’s more likely that they’ll feel free and confident enough to just be themselves. However, let’s not forget that when people have a few too many, they’re prone to saying stupid crap which might not reflect what they truly think or who they truly are.
- You’ll be more honest too. Drunk people tend to have good, long chats — and with the Dutch courage inside of you, you’ll be happy to be truthful about what you want. In other words, you won’t be shy when it comes to the core questions surrounding what you’re looking for from a romance or a relationship. If you feel like it, that is. Maybe you don’t care about that stuff and just want to have a laugh!
- They need to get used to seeing you drunk. If you like to go out drinking (because you’re young and wild), then why wait to let them see your drunken personality? Hopefully drunken you is in sync with your drunken date i.e. you’re both deep conversationalist drunks or you’re both fun drunks.
- There’s less awkwardness. There will be no painful silences, which can be a common feature of the first date. You’ll feel any reservations you have melt away and you’ll be on your game when it comes to flirting. Plus, as you both feel the warmth and buzz of your drunkenness set in, your first kiss will be immense.
- You’re more likely to get laid. With both of your inhibitions gone, chances are things are going to start to get frisky. Just be careful — if you’re too drunk then there’s also a chance of you forgetting to be safe, and that’s not what it’s about. I’d also recommend waiting until you get home before you start to get nasty to avoid the regrets the morning after — unless you like that kind of thing, of course.
- You don’t like your date? No problem. There’s another first date situation in which getting drunk is a good idea for you. If you’re really not feeling the person you meet up with because they’re boring AF or they don’t have two brain cells or they’re more interested in themselves than they are in you, you can still have a good evening. A few vodkas will make the occasion much more bearable.