Usually, the guys that make me swoon are detached with a bad boy attitude, absolutely no direction in life, and a scrawny body. Needless to say, those relationships never worked. Now though, I find myself completely smitten with a guy who is not only tall and husky, he’s also got his own passion for life and his career and is so open about his feelings that it’s almost scary. He’s not my “type” but he makes me happy—go figure.
- It’s so nice to have met my match. This guy’s values, passions, and drive are so in line with mine, it’s almost as if he’s brought on a dating epiphany in my life. It’s amazing to be able to date someone who brings so much to the table on his own and for once, I don’t have to fill it up all by myself. Doing so was always so mentally and emotionally exhausting, but with this guy, I don’t have that to worry about.
- He makes me feel so safe. I’ve never felt safe with a man before, but when I’m with this guy, I feel as though nothing can hurt me. Maybe it’s the way his arms envelop me when we hug or cuddle or maybe it’s because of how emotionally intelligent he is. Whatever the reason for it, I’m definitely not complaining.
- I always stuck to the same type so I always got the same results. I kept dating the same type of guys over and over again because I thought they were the only type of guys I was into. I always thought I was just cursed with bad taste, but that’s so far from the truth now. I couldn’t possibly expect to have a mature and fulfilling relationship with someone who was neither mature nor fulfilled, so now that I’m with someone who’s so far outside the typical box I kept myself in, I’ve been rewarded.
- He’s the sexiest guy I’ve been with. Because of how emotionally charged the relationship is, the sex is otherworldly. He has to power to turn me on in a way I’ve never felt before in my life, and while he’s not your Instagram model hot, I think he’s handsome AF. I’m so grateful for that, too, because how boring would it be if he looked like everyone else? He’s unique in his appearance and I absolutely love that about him.
- He’s so damn inspiring. I’ve always been driven to experience new things and discover new goals, but because of how dedicated he is to his own life and his own passions, it only drives me to be better at mine. He makes me want to be a better woman and leave an even better mark on the world. I’ve never dated anyone who made me feel like I could be even better than I already am and inspired me to do so.
- I’m actually ashamed I didn’t do this sooner. If I had known how amazing my life could have been if I’d been willing to stray from my typical type, I wouldn’t even have had a type to begin with. I would have been so open to the people who were truly amazing, not just those who appeared amazing until you got to know them. I’m so happy that he’s the one I opened the door for.
- Being with someone on my level really reduces my stress. I never have to worry about whether or not things are going in the right direction because neither is he. We’re both just doing our own thing and enjoying each other’s company and that’s a beautiful thing. There are no games; there are no doubts. It just is and that’s because he’s so unlike the other toxic dudes I’ve dated.
- The experience is new but it still feels like home. When I decided that this was the guy I wanted to pursue something with, I was a little wary, but after our first date, there was no question. The conversation was so easy because of how in sync we are in the way we lead our lives, and just being in his company was amazing. It was as if going against my usual grain actually helped me find someone way better suited for me than I could have ever imagined.
- I was just too deep in my comfort zone. For the entirety of my dating life, I stayed in my comfort zone thinking it was easy to just date the guys I had an initial attraction to no matter how bad they were as people. I never stepped outside the box, not for a lack of trying, but because I didn’t even realize that’s what I was doing. Now that I’m more awake in my life and more in control over who I give my time to, I couldn’t have picked a better person to take the plunge into strange territory with.
- I’d advise anyone to do the same—try something new. If you’re anything like me, you’ve probably done the same things I’ve done—dated the same type of guy over and over again, never giving a chance to anyone else because you just knew that you wouldn’t feel anything for them. I’m here to tell you that not only are you wrong, you’re missing out on some really amazing people by staying stuck in the void of a “type.”