A gay man was left heartbroken after his mother berated him about his sexuality upon learning he’d gotten engaged to his boyfriend. Henry Jimenez, a 21-year-old influencer and photographer from Mexico, livestreamed the call to invite his mother to his upcoming wedding, and while he knew she didn’t approve of the marriage or his partner, he never expected things to get quite so nasty. In the end, both Jiminez and his viewers were in tears.
View this post on Instagram
- This should be one of the happiest times in Jiminez’s life. Earlier this month, he posted a video of his partner, Kacey Kerbox, proposing to him near a glacier during a trip to the North Pole. It was incredibly romantic and everything Jiminez could have hoped for. In fact, he described the proposal as “the easiest yes of my life.”
- Jiminez’s mother didn’t take the news well. He hoped that while his mother didn’t agree with his sexuality, she would find it in herself to accept and love him anyway and perhaps attend the wedding. Instead, she unleashed a hateful tirade in which she accused Jiminez of “breaking her heart into a million pieces” and “sinning in the eyes of God.”
- She claimed Jiminez would be the cause of her death. During the call, his mother claimed that her son was “making her sicker than she already was” and that his choice to freely love the man that makes him happy would ultimately kill her. “I didn’t teach you those ways,” she told him, while adding that he was “sinning for Satan.”
- Eventually, Jiminez put a stop to things. Eventually, the extremely distraught Jiminez shut his mother down, saying, “Okay, that’s enough.” He told her he would call her later and hung up the phone.
- He shared the video to help others. While it would be totally understandable if Jiminez wanted to bury the video altogether, he decided to post it in the hope that it would help other kids who might be struggling with a parent who can’t accept and love them for who they are. “This as I said IS SO HARD for me to share, but today I got a message from a kid telling how much he felt inspired after watching this and told his parents his biggest secret,” he wrote in the caption of the clip. “That makes me so happy and makes it all worth it.”