A man on Reddit has shared an irate letter he received from a neighbor dubbing him a “Grinch” for not putting up Christmas lights. U/hotshots724 posted a copy of the letter to the F**kYouKaren sub, where it immediately went viral for its aggressive and presumptuous content.
- The neighbor had very strong feelings about Christmas lights to have called OP a “Grinch.” The letter began: “Congratulations!! You have won the humbug award!!!! Because you chosen [sic] to be a grinch and not put up Christmas lights, you have disappointed all the children, young, and old in your community!” That seems a pretty big claim to make!
- The “Grinch” in question got a lecture from the wordy neighbor. The anonymous letter writer lectured his neighbor on the cost of LED lights, saying that they’re “inexpensive to run and can be purchased even in second hand stores for reasonable prices!”
- Apparently, OP must be too “busy with his devices” to put up Christmas lights. The neighbor then went on to claim that they didn’t think cost was an issue to OP and that instead, OP chose not to put up decorations because they must be “too busy with your devices than anything else!” Whatever that means.
- A little guilt trip was added in next. The neighbor then urged OP to recall the wonder they must have experienced seeing Christmas lights on their street as a child. “What happened?” they questioned. “Next year do better and bring a smile to those in need….”
- OP still has time to decorate, the neighbor warns. OP’s neighbor reminded them that they don’t have to be a Grinch this year and that there’s still time to make things right. “IT only takes a little effort to make a big difference! Love strong and love long! Putting lights up for other faiths counts too! Why not show your pride with color! Happy Holidays!!”
The audacity of people is truly astounding. Merry Christmas, I guess!
Me 3 seconds later pic.twitter.com/b3dyedVtMt
— Andrew McFarlane (@farlanewastaken) December 13, 2022
if one of your neighbors is pulling stunts like this, the rest of you should take your lights *down* in solidarity
— Alex P 👹 (@SaddestRobots) December 13, 2022
Just wait until Passover when I whip out my blow up 10 plagues for the yard. Where’s your holiday spirit then, neighbor? Huh?!
— Avital N. Nathman (@TheMamaFesto) December 13, 2022
What those in need need the most are lights on your porch!
Stop donating to your local shelter & soup kitchen and start putting up those lights!