A Louisiana man was arrested on his wedding day after he shot his best friend while still wearing his tux. Devin Jose Jones is said to have opened fire on the man while they were stuck in traffic on the Bonnet Carre Spillway in New Orleans because he believed the unnamed victim was having an affair with his wife. The affair has never been confirmed.
St. John's Parish Police Department
- The argument broke out while the trio was going home from the wedding reception. Jones is said to have been in the vehicle with his new wife and the victim when an argument broke out, leading to Jones accusing the man of having an affair with the woman.
- Soon after, things turned violent. A few moments later, Jones exited the vehicle and started shooting. A bullet struck his friend in the leg and the hand of another driver who was in another car and was also caught in the traffic jam.
- Jones’ wife ran away scared. When her new husband started shooting, the woman is said to have run over to first responders who were dealing with a car accident just up the road. They allowed her to hide in an ambulance, but Jones soon pursued her and began banging on the doors and trying to get to her. “In the craziness of things I’ve seen in 33 years, that’s going to be a top 10, maybe even a top five,” said St. John Parish Sheriff Mike Tregre.
- Jones was quickly arrested and charged. Police on the scene nabbed Jones and arrested him, later charging him with attempted murder, aggravated battery, illegal use of weapons, and aggravated criminal damage to property.
- Thankfully, both victims survived. Both men were taken to a local hospital for treatment but are expected to make a full recovery.