We guys sometimes get a bad reputation for being a little shallow and only liking women who have specific physical traits or who behave a certain way, but we’re not all looking for big boobs or big butts—these surprising things also turn us on.
- Looking slightly older Sure, some guys only like women who are young and hot, but there are a lot of us who are attracted to women because they look a little older. There’s even a little bit of science that backs this up—basically, men whose mothers were over 30 when they gave birth tend to be more attracted to older looking women, especially when they’re seeking a long-term partner. In other words, you don’t need that botox injection to attract a man.
- Frequent smiling OK, so this isn’t exactly a bombshell—who doesn’t appreciate an amazing smile? Still, it’s a totally underrated trait. Men are often attracted to women who enjoy smiling and do it often—I know from personal experience that this is absolutely true. A beautiful woman with a scowl on her face never catches my eye but one who’s always smiling and cheerful will always draw my attention.
- Being open-minded A lot of men prefer to be with a woman who’s curious and open to new ideas and new adventures. It can be tough to have a conversation with someone who’s set in her ways and unwilling to try new things or look at the world a different way. I’m sure women feel the same way about men who are a bit too rigid. To be blunt, it’s boring being with someone like that.
- Tilting your head slightly OK, so this is weirdly specific, but once again, there is some science to back it up. For whatever reason, a woman becomes more attractive by tilting her head forward and looking up slightly. There’s something sultry or suggestive about it—it’s hard to explain. Most guys are probably into this even if we haven’t really given it any concrete thought (and you shouldn’t think too hard about doing it or it could come off as forced and unnatural).
- Not wearing a lot of makeup I’m not trying to dissuade women from wearing makeup if that’s what you like to do, but it’s not always what guys like to see. Sometimes going without makeup makes you seem like you’re comfortable with yourself. It gives us guys the impression that you’re easygoing and not trying too hard to be someone you’re not. Also, keep in mind that men are impatient creatures who would prefer not to wait while our significant others spend an inordinate amount of time putting on makeup. I mean, you do you, but keep in mind that sometimes less is more.
- Having a high-pitched voice I’m a little surprised by this, but there have been studies about this that show men tended to prefer a female voice with a relatively high pitch. According to research, women tend to speak in a higher-pitched voice when they’re attracted to a guy. Perhaps sensing that a woman is interested in them made the guys more attracted to that particular woman. Huh, go figure!
- Being opinionated This relates a little bit to being open-minded, though the two aren’t the same thing. A woman who’s not afraid to express her opinion is sending the signal that she’s smart and interesting to talk to. This makes it easier to connect with someone on a deeper level. Yes, there will always be men who are superficial and will always rank looks over intelligence, but most of us will be attracted to a woman who’s willing to speak her mind.
- Dropping f-bombs Look, this isn’t 18th century England—women don’t need to be proper and subservient and well-mannered 24/7. In fact, a lot of guys like it when you’re not, so if you want to drop a few F-bombs in the middle of a conversation, that’s totally cool. Honestly, it’ll help us guys feel more relaxed while talking to you and probably make us like you a little more. I’m not saying you should go overboard with cussing, but if that’s who you are, let it rip.
- Making the first move This may catch some guys a little off guard because it’s not “traditional,” but I believe most guys find it attractive and endearing when a woman is willing to make the first move. It helps us confirm that you like us and that makes us like you a little more. If you ladies introduce yourself to a guy and start trying to chat him up, there’s a good chance he’ll be flattered and start to like you back. It’s worth a try anyway, right?