A man who spent $20 on cryptocurrency woke up a few days later to find more than $1 trillion deposited into his banka ccount. Chris Williamson was hoping by making a modest investment he might see a good return. However, what he got went far beyond anything he ever could have imagined.
- Most people don’t strike it rich with cryptocurrency. While 71% of people who buy it believe they’ll eventually become billionaires, per Unilad, that’s not likely to happen. In fact, most people actually lose money and don’t even get back what they put in. That isn’t what happened with Chris Williamson, but he’s the exception, not the rule.
- Needless to say, Williamson got lucky. After making his purchase, he’d check back in on his account every once in a while to see what was going on. However, waking up one day and seeing that he was the richest man in the world was certainly unexpected. “I looked at it again and then I fell out of my bed and ran to my desk to try and figure out what was going on,” he said.
- So, how much did he actually make? At one point, the cryptocurrency system told him that he had $173,277,357,372,090. Yes, that’s $173 trillion. Think of all the stuff you could buy with that! In fact, there’s probably not enough stuff in the world TO buy.
- Sadly, Chris Williamson’s fortune was the result of a glitch. When he tried to take his money off the platform and put it elsewhere, the numers weren’t adding up. The system glitch eventually got his account frozen by Coinbase, wiping away the nurse’s delight pretty quickly.
- He tried to “find humor in it.” However, Williamson admits “it’s depressing” to think you might have so much money before realizing it’s just not true. It’s unclear if he did actually make any money, even a modest amount, but it doesn’t seem like it.