When you have an amazing time hanging out with someone for the first time, you won’t have to wonder if he’ll call or text—you’ll know before you head back home. Here are 14 signs he likes you on the first date that should be pretty obvious.
- He plans other dates while you’re together. If he’s really keen to see you again, he’ll make plans while you’re still on your first date. Even a casual suggestion for future plans, like mentions of a restaurant he’d like to take you to, is a great sign.
- He makes some physical contact. It’s creepy AF if he’s getting in your space too much, but a little physical contact goes a long way to show you he’s interested. He might brush your hand, touch your arm, or hold your hand to guide you up the stairs. No guy does that if he’s not feeling it.
- He does chivalrous things. When a guy’s really into you, he’ll want to impress you and show that he respects you. Hello, chivalry! He’ll walk you to your car or pick you up from your place, make sure you’re having a great time, and ask you what you’d like to eat so he can order it for you. It’s all about making you feel like a queen.
- He puts his cards on the table. He wants to make it clear from the first date what he’s looking for, like that he wants a real relationship and isn’t into one-night stands or flings. This is about being upfront with you so you can start a relationship that’s built on honesty. Major points!
- He makes the date go on. You agreed to meet for coffee or drinks but now he’s suggesting you do something else so the date doesn’t end, like have dinner or go for a walk under the stars. If he’s keen to keep you there for longer than the usual hour-and-a-half date, he’s showing you that he’s definitely interested.
- He asks follow-up questions. It’s great if he asks you questions about yourself, but even better if he asks follow-up questions based on what you’ve said. This shows that he’s really interested in what you have to say and finds you interesting to talk to.
- The conversation flows. You both might feel nervous AF but the conversation is fun, you have loads to say to each other, and you’re making each other laugh. There aren’t any awkward silences or weird things he says that leave you dumbstruck. If the waiter keeps having to ask you what you’re ordering to eat, you know that you’re both having such a great time you’re in your own world.
Signs he likes you on the first date
- He doesn’t rush to leave. It’s not a good sign if the guy has to cut the date short or bolts out of the restaurant before you can properly say goodbye. On the other hand, if he takes his time to walk you to your car or it seems like he doesn’t want to say goodbye, these are really good signs.
- You don’t know what phone he has. Why? Because you haven’t seen it! It must be in a pocket or back in his car because he hasn’t whipped it out or looked at it once throughout the whole date. This shows you that he’s really interested in getting to know you and he doesn’t want anything to interfere with your quality time together. A promising sign that he wants to see you again and isn’t bored around you.
- He does “the lean.” The lean is when he points his face, feet, and chest towards you during the conversation. This means that he’s open to you and likes you, and it’s known as positive body language. Remember, you can tell more from his body language than what he says!
- You catch him looking. Eye contact is another important body language sign to look for. It’s great on a first date, but what’s even more telling of his interest in you is when you catch him looking at you out the corner of your eye. The guy can’t seem to look away from you. So cute!
- He notices the smallest details. A guy who finds you attractive will compliment your body or stunning lips, but a guy who finds you attractive and wants to date you will notice more things. He’ll see the tiny freckle on your neck or the way your eyes light up when you talk about your passions. He’s sharing what he notices with you because he wants you to know he’s interested.
- He remembers things you said. If you’ve spoken to the guy before meeting him for a first date, like if you met on a dating app, he’ll remember things you said during that time. It shows that he’s been interested in you long before you met and this interest is sure to intensify.
- You leave the date feeling good. You know when a date didn’t go too well even if the guy raved about how much fun it was. When you leave a date that promises to turn into a second one, you don’t feel doubts about the guy or like there’s just something holding you back. You feel positive and calm, which is probably because he’s been so open and genuine with you, which also means you won’t have to bite your nails while waiting for him to text. It’s gonna happen.
How to increase your chances of having a memorable first date
While there’s no guarantee that going out with a guy is going to end up in some fairytale love story (and the likelihood is that it won’t), you can increase your chances of at least seeing him again by doing these things.
- Don’t come on too strong. It goes without saying that the first date is not the time to discuss your desire for a $50,000 wedding ceremony fit for a Disney princess and your desire to have nine kids like your great-grandmother. If you do, don’t be surprised when you can’t find any of the signs he likes you on the first date, and don’t expect another. It’s important that you stay a bit more chill.
- Don’t take yourself too seriously. It’s really not fun to be around someone who’s super pretentious, who thinks their s**t doesn’t stink, and who takes themselves way too seriously in life. Guys are attracted to women who are down-to-earth and who know how to laugh at themselves. It makes you seem way more accessible and approachable.
- Be willing to open up a bit. While you definitely don’t need to tell him your entire life story (and probably shouldn’t), you should be okay with telling him a bit about yourself and your life. This is important to determine chemistry and suitability and also just gives him more of a picture of who you are. Of course, he should be willing to do the same.
- Make him laugh and laugh at his jokes. One of the biggest signs a guy likes you on the first date is when he laughs a lot. However, he can’t do that if you’re not saying anything funny. I’m not telling you to set up a bunch of knock-knock jokes to turn out one after the other. However, you no doubt have an amazing sense of humor that you should be able to show off naturally.
- Wear your hottest outfit. Don’t fool yourself into thinking you need to don a mini-dress and the highest heels to look hot. Hotness is a state of mind and it’s all about attitude. What clothes do you wear that make you feel attractive, confident, and totally badass? Whatever the answer to that question is, wear that.
- Challenge him. Don’t be a yes woman. If he says something you find to be controversial or even wrong, tell him so. You shouldn’t be trying to pick fights with him or be overly confrontational, but guys like women who can call them on their crap even if they won’t admit it.
- If you had a good time, tell him so. This is just common courtesy, really. While you’re likely displaying the signs you like him on the first date if that’s indeed the case, there’s nothing wrong with telling him straight up as you end your afternoon/evening together. This will serve as an ego boost for him and also a clear signal that if he was to ask you out again, you wouldn’t say no.
- Leave a little to the imagination. The key to a man’s heart is leaving him wanting more. Don’t give too much in any sense of the word – leave him curious about you and he’ll have no choice but to want to see you again because he’s so intrigued.