Today, Sydney and Logan Firkins are a happily married couple living their best life together. However, when they were just boyfriend and girlfriend as teenagers, they did something amazing for their high school prom: They went with other people. In particular, they decided to give up one another as dates and instead accompany special needs students to the momentous event.
- Sydney and Logan were super pumped about the prom. Who wouldn’t be? They couldn’t wait to get dressed up in their fanciest clothes and hit the dance floor together. However, their plans changed last minute when they realized they could make a serious difference.
- Sydney was a peer facilitator in the Life Skills class at Princeton High School, Indiana. While doing that, she made good friends with one of the students named Naah Heichelbech. They became best friends over the years thanks to Noah’s sunny personality. As Sidney told 14 News at the time, “Noah is just so caring and fun-loving. He says hi to everybody in the hallway. He’s just a burst of energy. He’s like, my best friend. He’s the best.”
- This was a great way to get Noah to get to attend prom. The likelihood that he would have been able to without a date was slim, so Sydney knew what she wanted to do. “I wanted it to be about them because, since it was their first time, I want them to enjoy this fun night,” Sydney explained. “Some kids like them, they don’t get to.”
- Logan got in on the fun as well. He decided to take another student in the Life Skills class named Harley. They both staged elaborate promposals for their dates and everyone was overjoyed. The event was an incredible success and everyone had the best time ever.
- Sydney didn’t want attention for what she did. After all, it wasn’t about her but about just making sure everyone got to enjoy special events. “I had a lot of people reach out to me and say it’s so heartwarming and more people need to be like that. But, it’s not about me. It’s about them and this experience they get to do,” she said. Good for her!