Megan Is Missing may have come out nearly a decade ago in 2011, but the found-footage horror movie is only now going viral on TikTok for traumatizing viewers who felt totally unprepared for its gruesome content. To give you an idea of just how bad it is, the movie was actually banned in New Zealand, with the New Zealand’s Office of Film and Literature Classification claiming that it “depicts sexual violence and sexual conduct involving young people to such an extent and degree, and in such a manner, that the availability of the publication is likely to be injurious to the public good.”
tik tok made me do it #meganismissing #documentary #caution if you must watch, know you’ve been warned.
- The premise seems simple enough. We all know that teens are exposed to some dangerous stuff online, and that’s what writer-director Michael Goi, who wrote it in 10 days and filmed it in a week, was trying to portray in Megan Is Missing. As you can probably imagine, a girl who’s been speaking to a guy online eventually goes missing and I don’t think I have to tell you things don’t end well for her.
- Megan Is Missing takes things up a notch. Without spoiling the whole of the movie, let’s just say that Megan meets a horrific end, as does her best friend. However, many TikTok viewers wish they’d at least read the more detailed Wikipedia page on the movie before they actually watched it because they probably would have decided not to hit the play button after all.
- Even horror fans are struggling to get through it. As one TikToker wrote, “If you are thinking of watching Megan is Missing, please don’t. I love horror/thriller/murder mysteries and I can watch them very easily, but this one I will never ever forget. I couldn’t even finish it.” Let that serve as a warning!
- Even Michael Goi thinks the movie should come with a warning. After he was alerted to Megan Is Missing‘s newfound fame on social media, Goi took to TikTok himself to issue a belated disclaimer. “I didn’t get to give you the customary warnings that I used to give people before they watched Megan is Missing, which are: do not watch the movie in the middle of the night, do not watch the movie alone, and if you see the words ‘photo number one’ pop up on your screen, you have about four seconds to shut off the movie if you’re already freaking out, before you start seeing things that maybe you don’t want to see,” he said.
- Bottom line? You may want to give this one a miss. If hyper-real, very gruesome content is not for you (and is it really for anyone?) you might want to just stick with something less horrific, like, I dunno, Saw maybe?
please watch this film at your own risk. It is something i will never watch again . i am forever traumatized. #meganismissing #OnHold #BeKind #fyp
just take my word for it please. & if you want to know more about it before watching pls ask me #meganismissing #fyp #BeKind #OnHold #foryoupage