You’ve been dating casually for a while now and you really like each other. You’re ready to take things to the next level but you don’t actually know how to do it. What if you get rejected? What if you sound stupid? What if he doesn’t like you as much as you thought. Stop freaking out. Here’s how to ask a guy to be your boyfriend and get him to say yes.
- Make sure the timing is right. Obviously you don’t want to ask this guy to be your boyfriend when you’ve just had a major fight or there’s something really stressful/upsetting going on in either of your lives. You also don’t want to do it when you’ve only just started dating. Jumping the gun is a surefire way to freak him out and ruin things unnecessarily. Take a deep breath, reflect on what’s going on, and decide when the timing is right.
- Ensure you both know what you’re getting into. You should want to be an official couple because you truly know him and care about him. If there are still huge parts of his life you know nothing about or parts of his personality that you’re not sure about (or vice versa), you most definitely should not ask him to be your boyfriend. You want to be prepared for what it means to be in a committed relationship, and you can’t do that if you don’t even really know each other yet.
- Do it in person, not via text. Why would you ever try to make your relationship official via text? Not only is that bizarre and unlikely to be successful but you’re also depriving yourself of what could be a really amazing experience if you were to do it in person. Wait until you’re together to ask the big question. You’ll be so much happier you waited.
- Be casual when you bring it up. You don’t need to try and set some major dramatic scene or make it a huge occasion like you’re going to ask him to marry you. All you want to do is ask the guy to be your boyfriend in the chillest, most relaxed way. There’s no need for you to freak out about it or to turn it into a bigger thing than it is. He’s likely to get weirded out if you do.
- Tell him how you’re feeling about him. The most important thing here is to be open and honest with your feelings. Let him know that you really like him and care about him. Maybe even tell him some of the specific things that have made you become incredibly fond of him. Tell him how much you enjoy your time together and how excited you are for the future together. Just speak from the heart and you’re sure to get it right.
- Pop the question. Finally, it’s time to ask the guy to be your boyfriend. There’s no sense dragging it out or putting it off – just put it out there and see what he says. If you’re being genuine and you’re on the same page, there’s no way he’ll respond with anything else than an enthusiastic yes.