You’re probably already a pretty stellar partner, but you know what they say: there’s always room for improvement. Hopefully, your relationship is already happy and healthy, but there’s nothing wrong with wanting to make sure you’re doing everything you can to be the best partner possible. If you’re looking for some pointers, here’s how to be a better girlfriend in five easy steps. If you’re already doing these things, kudos to you!
- Love and accept them as they are. This sounds like the most basic premise in the world, but it’s shocking how many people don’t embrace it. In order to be a better girlfriend (or even a decent girlfriend at all!), you need to love and accept your partner as-is. This means you shouldn’t pressure them to change or to become someone they’re not because you “see their potential.” If they grow and evolve on their own, which they hopefully will, you should be there to support and encourage them. However, make sure you love the person you’re with today – that’s the most important thing.
- Initiate sex sometimes. Of course sex isn’t everything in relationships – we all know that. However, physical intimacy is important – just as important as emotional intimacy, so you should definitely make it a priority. While it’s understandable that life will take over sometimes and sex isn’t going to be on your mind 24/7, do your partner a solid and initiate every once in a while instead of expecting them to take the reins. It’ll be the most wonderful surprise and one they’ll definitely be grateful for.
- Choose your battles wisely. In order to be a better girlfriend, it’s time to do away with the pettiness. The longer you’re in a relationship, the more certain things your partner does will drive you absolutely insane. However, that doesn’t mean you should nitpick about every little thing and make them feel like they’re your child instead of your partner. Choose your battles – what’s truly important? What really affects your relationship and your day-to-day happiness? If it’s something minor that really has no real bearing on your life together overall, let it go.
- Give them space to breathe. You’ve heard it before and you’ll hear it a million times more over the years: you have to give them space. This is for your own benefit just as much as it is theirs. You don’t have to be attached at the hip 24/7 to have a deeply intense connection, nor should you be. By maintaining your own life outside of your relationship, your time together will be much more fulfilling. You both need space to breathe and simply be. If you struggle with this, that’s an issue you must work through on your own ASAP.
- Never take them for granted. It doesn’t matter if they do something as little as making your coffee in the morning or remembering to pick up the dog’s arthritis medication on the way home from work – appreciate your partner for the things they do for you. No one likes to feel as if they’re being used or taken for granted, but it’s so easy to slip into the habit of forgetting to show thanks when you grow more comfortable in your relationship. Show your appreciation and let them know just how lucky you are to have them.
Of course, it goes without saying that if you’re trying to be a better girlfriend, your partner should be striving to up their own game too. If you’re both putting in the effort, there’s no reason your relationship can’t succeed.