Love is something you can’t (and shouldn’t try to) manipulate. However, if you’re ready to take the next step in locking your relationship down, there are definitely ways you can express that by how you act and what you say. If you’ve been dating for around two years, he probably knows by now as to whether or not he find you to be compatible. Here’s how you can make sure he knows that you’re a perfect match for the long road ahead and wants to be with you forever.
- Stay open and honest with him. Even if the news is bad, you don’t want to sugarcoat it. Pretend you were at a party, and some guy gave you his number. Obviously, you have no intention of texting him in the future. But if your guy gets wind of what happened, he’ll be a little wary if you didn’t tell him about it first. Something like “Ugh, some guy gave me his number and it reminded me how happy I am to be out of the dating scene and together with you” is fine. You’re not trying to make him jealous, but you’re trying to avoid secrets and half-truths. When you’re married, complete honesty is everything.
- Don’t be attached at the hip. It’s great if the two of you have shared interests, but you should also have a life and a personality outside of your relationship. And, so should he. By scheduling activities with friends, or letting him go on a weekend camping trip with guys, you’re allowing each other space to miss each other. Plus, you’ll have plenty of fresh stories to tell each other when you reunite.
- Try to get along with his parents. Not all in-laws are great. Sometimes, moms have trouble letting go of their sons. Other times, they may see you as a threat. But it’s your job, at the very least, to try and keep the peace in person. Vent all you want about them elsewhere, but you don’t want to be adding fuel to the fire if you see a future with this relationship. If his parents happen to be wonderful, that’s a great bonus. It’s a great look for you to join the conversation when they’re around. Next time you see them, bring a bottle of wine they like and be appreciative. Just remember, when you marry someone, you also marry their family.
- Work on yourself. Nobody’s perfect. And, it’s possible you have a little bit of baggage you’re carrying around. Maybe you’re quick to get jealous, or have noticed yourself acting a little too negative about everything. Men appreciate women who have a bit of self-awareness. If you’re having trouble with your temper, book an appointment to see someone. Show that you’re improving, and working on the problem. You want to be the best version of yourself that you can possibly be.
- Admit when you’re wrong. If the two of you get in a lot of arguments, you might want to re-evaluate the way you communicate. Do you feel good if you “won” an argument? Are feelings hurt? Do you admit when you’re wrong, even if you realize it later on? The best partner in life is someone who’s always on your team. Both of you may have different opinions, but you should be able to reach a common goal. He’s not supposed to be your enemy. Be the bigger person and take responsibility for what you say. He’ll notice, and he’ll be impressed.
- Have fun. Are you attached to your work? It’s incredible to be a hardworking woman, and surely he loves the fact that you care about your career. But, you want to make sure you manage your time properly, and also make room for fun and memorable times with him. Don’t shove him out of your schedule. Even if you’re quarantined together, designate a movie night or a foot rub night. Or, play card games or video games together.
- Don’t be jealous of his past. If you want to be in a relationship that lasts forever, you need to understand that there were other women before you. Everyone has a past. If you keep dwelling on his, you’re proving that you aren’t confident in your relationship. Don’t compare yourself to others he dated, or keep wondering whether or not you stack up. If he’s with you, he’s with you for a reason. And if he proposes, that’s the ultimate sign that you’re the one he wants to be with.
- Don’t give up on yourself. Things will change in your life. Your body won’t always look the same — especially if you have kids someday. But, don’t completely give up on yourself. Dress up on occasion just for the fun of it. Try new makeup techniques. Get a daring haircut you always wanted to get. Have fun with your wardrobe, and experiment with colors and patterns you’ve never tried before. Stay fresh and active. This will tell him that you have a lot of life left in you, and you’re not afraid to take healthy risks. That’s a great quality for a future wife to have.