Trends come and go but style is forever. It can be confusing when you’re trying your best to fit in but also stay true to yourself when it comes to the way you dress. Personal style is important because it’s a great way to express yourself to people without actually speaking. It’s a way to show your creativity and unique personality. So, how do you discover and evolve your personal style in a fun and exciting way? Here’s how!
- Find out what makes you happy. For some people, a special outfit can turn your whole day around. There are just certain types of clothes that make you feel good. One of the most important steps in discovering and evolving your personal style is finding what makes you feel happy and confident. There are at least a few things in your closet that you probably find yourself reaching for more than others. Think about your favorite clothes that you already own and see if there’s a correlation between them. Are they the same style? The same type of clothing? Do you have special memories attached to them? Finding what you love to where best is the first step in discovering your style and being genuine to it.
- Embrace individuality. Society often tells us that we should want to blend in or have the kind of clothes that everyone else has but that’s not staying true to yourself! Embrace the fact that your style is unique and special! Who cares if it doesn’t align perfectly with the current trends that are popping up everywhere? Be original and wear things that make you stand out in a fun and exciting way. You never know, you might be the one who starts the newest trend.
- Don’t let others influence you. Along with your individuality, don’t let the opinions of others influence the way you dress. Even if your friends or family don’t like what you’re wearing, as long as it makes you happy, that’s all that matters. The most important factor to style is always confidence. Don’t let comments or judgments deter you. There’s nothing wrong with being different!
- Resist the urge to binge shop. As hard as it can be, try to resist the urge to buy a whole new wardrobe. You don’t have to completely remold your style all in one go. Start small and invest in a few special pieces that you know will get a lot of wear and will be versatile in your everyday life. Every once in a while when you’re shopping, if something catches your eye, don’t be afraid to add it to your wardrobe but taking it slow and adding one or two pieces at a time will be less overwhelming and more genuine.
- Look to your idols. Get inspired by the people whose style you’d like to emulate. Whether it’s celebrities, influencers on social media, or even people in your own life, look at what they wear on a regular basis. What kind of staple pieces do they have? What kind of color palette do they lean towards? How do they dress for certain occasions? You don’t need to copy them exactly but if you really admire their style and would like to dress similarly, it’s good to take some notes on how they dress and keep those things in mind when you’re shopping for your own wardrobe.
- Invest in staple pieces. Staple pieces are definitely important when you’re building a sustainable, versatile wardrobe that’s true to your individual style. Staple pieces are going to look different for everyone based on what your style is like. For some, staple pieces include a really good pair of jeans, white t-shirts, a little black dress, a nice coat or jacket, or anything that is going to be forever in style and able to be worn over a variety of different occasions. Staple pieces are a great way to build the foundation of your wardrobe and then you can use accessories and accent pieces to jazz them up and make them your own style.
- Accessorize, accessorize, accessorize. Accessories are another great way to discover your style because you can take basic pieces and turn them into something unique, festive, and different. Whether it’s jewelry, purses, scarves, hats, shoes, or anything else. Your accessories can really help you discover and evolve your style and can transform any outfit.
- Don’t sleep on vintage and thrift stores. Definitely check out vintage stores and thrift stores because you never know what you’ll find! Vintage pieces can often be an amazing way to show your own individual style and bring something that was popular years ago back to life again! Thrift stores are another way to find new things and discover trends and styles that you’d never think to try otherwise. Thrift and vintage are a great way to find things that no one else has as well! If you’re buying all your clothes from chain stores and popular websites, it’s possible that you might run into people who have all the same things you have. It’s okay to wear some of the same things as other people but if you really want your own personal style, it’s good to have things that are completely unique to you.
- Own everything you wear. The most important thing you can wear is your confidence! Own everything you wear. As long as you love it and you feel comfortable and like it represents who you are well, just own it. If you feel good and wear your clothes like you know that you look good, everyone who sees you will think so too. Confidence is something that you exude and when you walk with it, people will be drawn to you and admire you and everything that you wear. As long as you feel good, that’s all that matters and your style will be accurately represented!