Showing a guy you’re interested in him without making a fool of yourself is a delicate balance. You don’t want to come off as aloof or make him think you don’t care so that he doesn’t bother to pursue you, but you also don’t want to fall all over him when you’re not even sure if he’s into you. Here’s how to flirt with a guy and keep it as chill as possible while avoiding embarrassment altogether.
- Keep it casual. This is perhaps the most important advice when it comes to figuring out how to flirt with a guy. Many men are easily scared off in the beginning so you want to avoid coming on too strong. You can do that easily by just keeping it relaxed. Instead of asking him if he wants to go on a date with you because you’re single and looking for your future husband (lol, I know it’s true), why not just ask him if he feels like hanging out on Saturday night or going to the greenmarket with you on Sunday? The more relaxed your approach, the less stressful it’ll be for you.
- Read the room. By this I mean you should feel him out to make sure flirting with him is even appropriate. If he’s a relative stranger, you probably want to make sure he’s actually single and open to dating before you start putting the moves on him. Pay attention to little details to make sure you have the all-clear before putting yourself out there.
- Mirror his body language. A good way to flirt with a guy is by mirroring the same energy he’s giving you. If he’s a touchy-feely guy and you’re into physical touch as well, feel free to put your hand on his arm if he makes you laugh or lean in towards him. Mirroring his actions will let you know that what you’re doing is appropriate while also showing your interest. After all, if you weren’t feeling it, you’d probably avoid any kind of contact, right?
- Focus on the things you have in common. If you both like some obscure band that most of your other fans haven’t heard of, connect on that! Tap into the unique things you connect on and really focus on that. When he sees that you’re into some of the more niche things that get him going, he’ll be way more likely to be into you (or at least be way more intrigued). It may seem like this isn’t going to get you a date at all, but it’s a great way to flirt with a guy, trust me.
- Have confidence. At the end of the day, showing a guy you’re interested in him doesn’t have to be embarrassing even if he’s not feeling the same. How’s that, you ask? You should have confidence. Know that you’re a snack and that any guy would be lucky to have you. Feel confident in your interest in him as well as your ability to brush your shoulders off if he’s not feeling the same. With an attitude like that, you really can’t lose.