Sometimes life just isn’t going how you want it to go. You’re stuck, burdened, restless, dissatisfied, unmotivated, unhappy, and in dire need of some excitement to make living seem like something worth doing. The good news is that no matter how bad you think things are, you can always hit refresh and forge a new path for yourself that will bring the contentment and joy you desire.
- Audit your life. The first thing you need to do is reevaluate your life. What’s missing from it? Are you satisfied? What are you passionate about? What do you need to be happy? Are you working towards it? You need to take stock of everything to figure out where the inadequacies are and what you truly want out of life. Be objective and true to yourself, and be ready to make the tough decisions necessary to achieve your goals.
- Let go of all your excess baggage. You probably have things in your life that are no longer serving you but you’re still holding on to for some reason. Sit down and make a list of those things that steal your time, space, energy, and joy without giving anything commensurate in return. It could be a relationship that’s making you miserable or an unfinished project or clutter. You can start small. Slowly remove those things that are unessential or contributing to your unhappiness.
- Acknowledge the past and all its imperfections. You may not be happy about the way life has been up until now, but you can’t keep obsessing over it or letting it control your life. Your failures are insignificant in the grand scheme of themes. Accept the ways you have fallen short. Make peace with your imperfections. Embrace the pain, the blessings, all that has made you who you are and led you to this present moment.
- Take a break from your life. Do you feel burned out or like you don’t have the energy to deal with your responsibilities? Walk away from it. Not forever, just temporarily. Hit the reset button. Escape from your monotonous routines and devote your time and efforts to unwinding. If there’s a trip you’ve been planning, now’s the time to take it. Pick a destination, pack a bag, and take the rest you deserve. It doesn’t have to be anything expensive. Quality time away can help you rediscover your zest for life and feel more in control.
- Declare new goals and desires. Hitting reset means a fresh start, an opportunity to begin again. If you stick to the things you were doing before, you would be wasting the new chance. Seek out different pursuits and interests. Define new goals for yourself so you have something exciting to look forward to. It can be personal or career-focused. Plan ahead and start working to accomplish it.
- Find a hobby, any hobby. Getting a hobby can relieve stress, improve your mood, and offer a creative outlet that may be missing from your everyday life. If you already have things you enjoy doing like dancing or painting or singing, devote more time to them. You can step out of your comfort zone and discover new hobbies and passions that will reignite the spark in your life.
- Learn how to sit and just be. Concentrating and looking within has the power to hit the reset button of the brain and wake the mind. If you’re not used to contemplation or meditation, it may seem strange at first. Once you push through, you’ll be amazed by the wave of happiness and relaxation that’ll wash over you. Do absolutely nothing except listen to music or the sounds around you. Close your eyes and just sit there. Do this regularly for at 10 minutes at a stretch.
- Return to the good. Take two or three minutes to think about some of the things you’re grateful for. Do this three times a day at least. Check in with yourself, create a mental image of your life as you want it to be, appreciate yourself for how hard you’re trying. Be bold and unapologetic in reaching for the things you want.
- Move beyond mere talk and take action. Making significant changes to your life can be scary and difficult, but you won’t get the results you’re hoping for until you do. Don’t just sit around and wait for change to happen miraculously. Get going. Once you do, you’ll gain momentum and start to feel better. Remind yourself again and again of what you want, face down your fears, and begin working towards it. Stop thinking about hitting the reset button and just do it.