Do I like him or don’t I? Although the question seems simple enough, anyone who’s played the dating game knows how difficult this can be to work out. So we’ve come up with a few signs to help you know for sure that you really do like a guy (or girl!), and if you do, what your next move should be. Check them out below!
How you know you like a guy
- You want to talk to him and spend time around him. It’s normal to want to spend time with the person you like. When you like someone, you’ll find ways of being around them as much as possible. If you attend the same event, you’ll naturally gravitate towards them. When you see a meme or reel on social media, you’ll want to send it to them. And you’ll find yourself texting them even if you don’t have something specific to say.
- You can’t wait to respond to his texts. If you like a guy, you’ll probably respond to his texts and direct messages before you respond to anyone else. Again, this happens because you love talking to him and can’t wait for the next opportunity to do so.
- You care what he thinks of you. To some degree, you’ll care what the guy you like thinks of you. So you’ll start trying harder to impress him. That doesn’t mean you’ll bend over backward to get his approval. But you might put more effort into your clothes before you see him, or spend a few extra minutes in front of the mirror. You might show off in front of him or make jokes to make him laugh, all with the intention of making a good impression.
- You care about what’s going on in his life. When you really like someone, you care about what’s going on in their life. You want the best for them. And when they tell you about their problems, you listen and absorb what they’re saying. If you couldn’t care less what’s happening in their life, you probably don’t genuinely like them—rather, you’re likely just in lust.
- You laugh at his jokes even if they’re not funny. If you’re unsure of how to know you like a guy for sure, look no further than this. Do you laugh at his jokes even if they’re not funny? This is a common sign of liking someone. You care about him enough to want him to feel good about himself, so you laugh out of kindness.
- You don’t care what your friends and family think of him. A lot of us care what our friends and family think of the people we date. But if you like him enough, you probably won’t care if they approve or not. If their disapproval is enough to turn you off that person, then you probably didn’t genuinely have feelings for them in the first place.
- You think about him when he’s not there. Liking someone can be a consuming feeling. You end up thinking about them when they’re there. And when they’re not there, you still can’t get them off your mind. If you do really like him, you’ll find your thoughts drifting towards him right around the clock.
- You feel jealous of other people in his life. It’s not uncommon to feel jealous of the other people the person you like sees. Whether they’re just friends or other people he’s dating, you might resent them for spending time with him when you want to spend time with him. If he is dating others, you might begrudge them because you crave exclusivity with him.
- You want to share things with him. This is a major sign of liking someone romantically. When things happen in your life, good or bad, you’ll want to talk about them with the person you like. You’ll want their advice and input, and sometimes, just venting to them will make you feel better.
- His flaws don’t turn you off. Everybody has flaws. But if a person’s flaws are enough to turn you off them, you probably don’t really like that person. Whereas, when you genuinely have feelings for someone, their flaws won’t be enough to deter you. Your ideal man might be a certain height and have a certain job, but when you really like someone, none of those criteria matter.
You know you like this guy — what should you do about it?
- Assess how he feels. It can be very painful to admit to liking someone and find out they don’t like you back. So if you like someone, the first thing you should do is assess how they feel. Does this guy show signs of liking you too? Look at his behavior and work out how he might feel. You can’t read his mind, but you can make a good guess if you pay attention to the signs.
- Drop hints. If you decide you do want something to happen with the guy you like, start dropping hints that you like him. Flirt with him and even consider asking him out on a date. The more time you spend with him, the more things will naturally play out between you. You’ll also get a better idea of how he feels about you by how he responds to the hints.
- Consider telling him. After you’ve dropped hints and thought about what his response might be, you could consider telling him how you feel. This can be very daunting, but if you can’t get this person off your mind, sometimes it’s the only way to free yourself. Try to find a good time to tell him, where you can speak in private, and find the courage to be honest and be yourself. If you know you like this guy, go for it!