Given the current state of the world, even getting out of bed to face the day can be scary, frustrating, and very stressful. There’s so much we can’t control, but what we can control is how we react to what’s going on around us. Here are some tips on how you can eliminate the stress and negativity so that you can feel happier and have a better quality of life.
- Stay off your phone. Obviously, we all have to use our phones at some point and some of us have to regularly be online for our jobs. What I mean by this is that you should try to minimize the amount of time you spend scrolling through social media. Too much time online can cause anxiety and anger, depending on what you’re looking at. Try putting your phone aside, especially first thing in the morning, and just focus on the present moment.
- Find a creative outlet. If you don’t already have a hobby that allows you to express yourself creatively, this is your sign to find one! Creative outlets are so helpful to mental health. Whether you write, paint, take pictures, sculpt, dance, or whatever, these types of hobbies can help us to not only express our emotions in a way that feels safe and secure but also can relieve stress and increase our serotonin levels.
- Adopt a healthier lifestyle. You don’t have to do anything drastic but if you’ve been living in a way that you know isn’t the healthiest, take the steps to do things that you know are better for you. Make sure you’re getting enough sleep at night, be as active as possible, drink lots of water, and make as many healthy eating choices as you can. These little things will add up in a big way and you will find your mood changing and your anxiety and stress levels dropping and your whole life will improve.
- Cut negative people out of your life. This can be a sensitive topic because sometimes our closest friends are the most negative people in our lives. People who do nothing but complain, bring up the bad things in life, or just constantly put other people down are actually doing more damage to you than you might think. What we think about and what we talk about informs the energy that we put out which then informs what we attract. It’s inevitable! It can be hard, but if someone in your life is nothing but negative, they are clearly dealing with some stuff in their own life that they need to figure out and maybe isn’t the best person for you to be hanging around right now.
- Fix your mindset. It isn’t just about cutting negative influences out – you have to make those changes within yourself too. If all you seem to do is focus on the bad things in your life and in the world, all you’re going to see is the negative. Look at every day as an opportunity for something amazing to happen and let yourself feel grateful for what you do have, even the tiniest things. You’ll be amazed at how your entire outlook will begin to change when you start appreciating the little things and having a positive mindset.
- Express gratitude to the universe. I know it’s hard when life gets crazy and stressful but one of the best and most simple things you can do to improve your life is to express gratitude right when you wake up in the morning. Thank the universe for allowing you to see another day, thank it for the breath in your lungs, and the roof over your head. Show gratitude to the world and the world will respond with positive energy. You’ll be amazed at how doing this little thing every day will positively impact your life.
- Don’t sleep on self-care. Please don’t forget to make time for the things that feed your soul. There is nothing selfish about taking a little time to yourself even if it’s only a few minutes every week, it will greatly improve your mental health. Just take a few minutes to unplug and unwind and there’s really no wrong way to do this, just make sure that it’s something that calms you and makes you feel happy and fulfilled.
- Don’t let insignificant things get under your skin. This one can be so hard to master and something that I struggle with every day. People are going to do and say things that make you angry and upset your day but you have to do everything you can to brush it off (within reason, of course). I like to remind myself that if it was something that won’t matter to me in five years, I shouldn’t think about it for longer than five minutes. Don’t let the rudeness of another person ruin your whole day. Take a deep breath, do your best to push it out of your mind, and move on. You’ll feel so much better once you do.
- Spread love and kindness over negativity. Misery loves company and it can be difficult to stay up when the people around you are constantly trying to bring the vibe down. Don’t let them! Counteract their complaints and unkind comments with kindness and love. You are ascending to a higher level than those who only find joy in speaking badly about life and others. You are better than that and you are going to prove it but staying positive and always trying to be kind. You will be putting so much goodness back into the world without even realizing it and you will inspire people to be better.