We all get there someday. You’ve got this one guy who makes your heart all fluttery and happy. How do you make him not just notice you but also want to date you? If you find him attractive, it’s time to be upfront about it and start moving things forward. Here are 15 easy ways to make it happen.
- DON’T BE AFRAID TO TELL HIM HOW YOU FEEL. It’s okay to express your feelings to him, but don’t rush it. Once you’ve developed a rapport, express yourself freely about your feelings for him. Of course, guys should traditionally be the ones to do the chasing, but there are exceptions. And this isn’t chasing per se. There’s nothing wrong with telling a guy how you feel about him. A man would be impressed by a girl who is candid.
- BE GENEROUS ENOUGH BY OFFERING TO SPLIT BILLS. Offering to split bills demonstrates your strong value. It indicates that you are respectful and kind. And it’s those positive vibes that will draw him to you. He’d be surprised as well, so it’s a good place to put him. Furthermore, it demonstrates that he means something to you while also saving him some money.
- MAKE HIS DOG LOVE YOU. His dog is a part of him. It’s almost impossible for him not to like you if his dog waggles its tail with excited yelps when it sees you. If you love pets, earn its trust by offering to take it for a walk sometimes. Who knows, a nod from his dog can get you a place in his heart.
- DON’T HESITATE TO DISAGREE WITH HIM SOMETIMES. Avoid being a yes-person around him. It’s a lot more fun to be on opposite sides and be around someone who challenges you rather than being agreeable all the time. By all means, argue about how you find Eddie Murphy boring, even if he thinks otherwise. Or how broccoli is the best thing after ice cream, even if he thinks it’s gross. Similarly, don’t be afraid to be angry at him if he does or says something wrong and call him out on it. Being assertive and independent-minded tells a lot about a strong belief system. If he’s your type of guy, you can bet he’ll find you appealing.
- Stay busy. You should show him that you have a full life outside of him. Discuss what you enjoy doing. Inform him about your weekly activities, goals, and long-term career, business, or academic plans. Make it clear to him that you have a well-organized life full of activities. Let him know that you’ll be unavailable at certain times due to other obligations. He needs to see that he is not your number one priority, even if that is what you want.
- Show interest in his life. Talking about yourself is okay, but it’s best not to reveal too much too soon. Keep him wondering and tell him only what you want him to know. Make the conversation mutual. Ask questions—fun and flirty questions to keep the mood light and casual. Simple questions like “do you prefer this or that?” are effective ways to begin conversations.
- TAKE THE LEAD SOMETIMES. Be one step ahead of the game at times. Take the initiative by being spontaneous. Enjoin him to follow you somewhere blindfolded without a prior plan. Send a gift and start unplanned adventures that he never expected. The more surprises you spring on him, the more excited he becomes. You want him to smile when he thinks about these things late at night, alone in bed.
More ways to make him want to date you
- SHOW HIM WHAT YOU’RE EXCITED ABOUT. One way to get your crush’s attention is to talk about your passions. If you do this, it’s hard for him not to notice how enthusiastic you are about the important things in your life. This also reflects how you would feel if they became a significant part of your life. He could picture you talking about him with the same intensity and glint in your eyes.
- DO WHAT HE LOVES DOING Sometimes. It’s understandable that you don’t share all of the same interests with him — it would be a big weird if you did, actually. Find a common ground and do things you both enjoy together. You enjoy word games, he enjoys board games; why not play scrabble together? Can you spend more time where he hangs out? Finding ways to be around him gives him the chance to get to know you.
- COMPLIMENT HIM. According to Lindsay Liben, a psychotherapist, in an interview with Oprah Daily, compliments don’t just nurture and enhance relationships; they contribute to deeper, more intimate connections. While you don’t want to overdo this to make it seem like flattery, passing genuine compliments to him makes him feel great about himself. If you notice anything different about him, tell him. New shoes, perfume, or even a haircut. When you notice little changes about him, it’s a sign that you care.
- mention Another GUY who likes YOU (IF THERe is ONE). This is something you shouldn’t shy away from talking bout. If there is a guy out there who’s interested in you, he needs to know that you might be unavailable if he doesn’t act quickly. If he is aware of his competition, he may better understand the adage “you don’t know what you have until you lose it.” He’ll not want to be in that situation if he has begun to like you. Of course, it’s possible to go too far with this and come off as braggy and obnoxious, so tread carefully here.
- Be authentically you. While you’re attempting to subtly persuade him to date you, it should appear natural. Pretending to be someone you’re not is a shaky foundation for a relationship. You may get him now, but what happens thereafter? You should be able to make mistakes and laugh at them. Don’t be afraid to be yourself, flaws and all.
- MAKE HIM LAUGH. Who doesn’t like someone who makes them laugh? You don’t have to be Amy Schumer to tell him about funny events or silly anecdotes. Send him amusing texts, videos, or make fun of him. It doesn’t take much to make him laugh; just be a little creative.
- Resist the urge to get clingy. For now, it’s enough that you already told him how you feel. You’re still not in a relationship, so don’t bombard him with texts and calls. Make an impression on him by not being clingy. While you may become intimate from time to time, for the most part, things should continue as usual. Things will gradually get to where you want them to be. Don’t push it. The only way to get his attention is to act like you don’t crave it.
- Send a smile his way. Always be friendly and open. In an interview with NPR, dating coach Michal Rivera says that the most important aspect of body language is smiling. A smile, he claims, has the power to break down barriers. Making eye contact and copying what he does, such as mirroring his position are other ways to endear him to you.