Before we go any further, a caveat: it’s not your responsibility to make a guy happy. You’re not in his life to solve his problems, to complete him, or to make sure all of his needs are met. No human being can do that for another and that’s not what we’re talking about here. However, there are little things you can do to bring out the best in him and encourage him to be his best self. After all, isn’t that what good partners do?
- Highlight his most amazing qualities. If you want to bring out the best in a guy, highlight his best qualities. If he’s super funny, let him know. If you admire his intelligence or his drive, point out how much you respect those things. Everyone likes to hear a bit of praise from time to time, and while his entire self-esteem shouldn’t be based on your opinions, it certainly doesn’t hurt to give his ego a bit of a boost.
- Show appreciation for the little things. When he does something sweet or thoughtful for you, thank him for it. It’s so easy to take your partner for granted, especially when you’ve been together a long time, and this can lead to feelings of neglect or even resentment. Don’t let this happen! Let him know you notice and really appreciate the little things he does for you and he’ll be more likely to do them – and to feel like he’s doing a pretty good job as a partner.
- Encourage his dreams and ambitions. If he has big dreams of starting his own business or of eventually taking over his boss’s position at his company, those are ambitions worth encouraging. No matter how far-fetched or difficult his goals may be to achieve, it’s your job as his partner to be his number one cheerleader and to give him the moral boost to keep going for it. If you didn’t believe in him, you wouldn’t be with him, would you?
- Offer understanding, not judgment. Your relationship should be a safe space. When he opens up and tells you his deepest thoughts and feelings, offer him understanding in return and refrain from judging him even if you don’t like what’s being said. Giving him the freedom to express himself with you will give him more confidence, and that will transfer to other areas of his life. This is one of the best ways to bring out the best in a guy.
- Be the best version of yourself. He’s not your project – you’re your own project. Bringing out the best in him is only something you can do if you’re focused on being the best version of yourself. Go after your own dreams, believe in yourself, and live the life you’ve always wanted. He’ll certainly find some inspiration in that!