You thought you were going to be together forever – or at least for a very long time – and then what felt like out of the blue, your boyfriend dumped you. Whether it’s because he just wasn’t happy anymore, needed to “find himself,” or met another woman, it’s devastating when you get left behind and you’re not ready to move on. While it’s probably best to let sleeping dogs lie, here’s how to make your ex miss you if you really want him to realize what a fool he was to let you go.
- Show him (or at least make him think that) you’re in a good place. If you happen to run into him at your favorite coffee shop or at a concert or something, do your best not to look totally depressed and miserable (even if that’s how you really feel). Whether you just catch his eye or one of you actually has the balls to talk to each other, keep it casual and light and make sure you smile. Obviously there’s a fine line to toe here and you don’t want to go overboard making it seem like your life is super fantastic and everything is sunshine and rainbows. However, you should definitely seem content and like you’re in a good place.
- Avoid texting or calling him at all costs. As tempting as it can be, you need to avoid contacting him. After a breakup, what both of you need is time and space from each other. This gives you time to reflect on the good and bad times, where things went wrong, and how you feel in the aftermath of your relationship. If you wanted to stay together and he knew this, he’s probably expecting you to reach out first, which is why you’re not going to give him the pleasure of being right. Block or delete his number and move on… at least for now.
- Focus on living your best life and being the best version of yourself. If you’re really wondering how to make your ex miss you, this is the number one way. Instead of focusing on how to make him realize he was a dumbo for dumping you, focus instead of self-improvement and self-fulfillment for its own purposes. Pursue your interests, go after your goals, and put yourself first. This will not only make you happier, but will have the added bonus of making your ex more likely to wish you were still in his life.
- Be strategic on social media. I’m not saying you should set thirst traps, but it’s possible to use the likes of Instagram and Facebook to your advantage when it comes to showing an ex what he’s missing. Don’t start posting half-naked selfies with overly dramatic captions thinking it’s going to make him come crawling back because that’s not likely to happen. Instead, use these accounts as a way to (occasionally) display how awesome your life is and how great it is, with or without a boyfriend. Just make sure it’s genuine – there’s nothing more obvious than someone who’s overcompensating.
- Accept that most breakups are permanent. Perhaps most importantly, it should be noted that while it’d be great to know how to make your ex miss you and want you back, most of the time, breakups are permanent and happen for a reason. Truly accepting that this chapter of your life might be over will not only help you move on more quickly, it’ll also be more likely to make him suddenly want to give things a go again. Is it worth it? Only you can answer that.