It’s hard to feel good about yourself and your prospects in love and life when you’ve had so many bad experiences. Maybe things just never seem to work out for you or you’ve dealt with crappy partners who’ve actually told you that you’re impossible to love. Before you go any further, stop. It’s time to get those thoughts out of your head and start to embrace your inherent worth. Here’s how to stop feeling unworthy of love for good.
- Acknowledge your feelings but commit to changing them. You probably know that in order to get past your feelings, the best way out is through. It’s important to acknowledge the fact that you feel unworthy or in some way lacking, but it’s equally as vital that you realize that those feelings aren’t based in truth. Change your mindset to one that’s committed to change. Only you can change how you feel about yourself, so resolve to do just that.
- Vow to do your best and recognize that’s good enough. If you want to stop feeling unworthy of love, in many ways it’s as simple as recognizing that you’re human and that your best is good enough. As long as you go out there and try your hardest in everything you do, that’s more than enough and all anyone can ask of you. If your lack of self-worth has kept you from fully applying yourself, change things up and put your best foot forward. You’ll be amazed at the effect this can have on your life and your self-esteem.
- Be proud of your positive qualities, talents, and accomplishments. Everyone has things about themselves they should be proud of. Maybe you were the first in your family to go to college or you speak three languages or you know how to crochet well. Whatever your talents or accomplishments, acknowledge and be proud of them. It will help you to stop feeling unworthy of love when you realize just how awesome you actually are.
- Give yourself a bit of grace. If your lack of self-love stems from feeling like you’re always messing things up and you’re not as good as this person or that. However, you’re a human being just like everyone else, and we’re all inherently imperfect. That’s what makes us so unique and beautiful. Extend yourself the grace to make mistakes, feel confused, and struggle a bit. You’re allowed – in fact, it’s encouraged. That’s how you grow and evolve as a person.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help. If you’re really struggling and find it hard to stop feeling unworthy of love, there’s no shame in reaching out to a professional to work on this. Therapy can be helpful for everyone in different ways and the process will really have a profound effect on how you view yourself and the world around you.