Whether you’re in a new relationship and want to tease your partner or you simply want to feel hot, there will probably come a time when you want to take some sexy selfies. Hitting the right poses and getting the most flattering angles can be intimidating, but don’t stress. We have some tips to make your makeshift photoshoot not just less stressful but actually fun.
Feel awkward striking sexy poses in your selfies? Listen up.
Unless you’re a professional model or a Kardashian whose entire career is based on looking f**kable in front of a camera, it’s always going to be a little awkward to take sexy selfies. That is until you do it often enough. Accept the fact that you’ll probably be a little self-conscious at first. You’ll probably overanalyze all your photos and think you look awful or that your thighs look big or some other negative self-talk. However, everyone has the ability to look downright hot — they just need to know how.
Like most things in life, practice makes perfect when it comes to taking sexy selfies. You might hate all the pics from your first impromptu shoot, but the next time around, you realize you got some pretty decent shots. It’s all about experimentation. And hey, if you’re taking the pics to send to someone who already thinks you’re pretty attractive, they won’t need much convincing.
How to take sexy selfies — we’ve got you!
- Choose your lighting carefully. Good lighting is key when taking selfies of any kind, let alone sexy ones. Natural light is usually the best option, so try to take your pictures near a window or outside during the day. Avoid harsh overhead lighting that can cast shadows that are less than flattering. A ring light can come in handy, but the more relaxed and less set-up it seems, the better.
- Highlight your best angles. You probably already know what they are and use them when snapping photos of yourself. The same thing applies here. Experiment with different angles to find the ones that flatter your features. For example, try tilting your head slightly or holding the camera above or below eye level. You can also play with the distance between you and the camera to see how that changes your photos.
- Wear what makes you feel hot AF. What you wear can make a big difference in the outcome of your pictures. The idea of taking sexy selfies in a sweatsuit probably seems a bit absurd, and you probably do want to bare a little skin. That being said, you don’t have to go fully nude or wear uncomfortable lingerie that just isn’t you. Wear something that makes you think, “Damn, I look good.” If you do, chances are everyone else will too.
- Curate your background. Make sure your background isn’t too distracting or cluttered. If you live in a pig stye or your place is super cluttered, move to a more neutral space. There’s nothing sexy about seeing loads of old pizza boxes and crushed Diet Coke cans behind you in a photo.
- Don’t overdo it on the filters. You can obviously enhance your pictures using filters and editing tools available on most smartphones, and you totally should. However, be careful not to overdo it. The last thing you want is a Photoshop fail. Besides, you’re pretty hot the way you are.
- Go hands-free. You don’t need to hold your phone the entire time. Use a tripod or prop it up on a pillow or against a hard surface so you can go hands-free. This not only lets you switch up your sexy poses but also makes sure your selfies don’t come out blurry from shaky hands.
- Skip the duck lips. Seriously, the pouty duck lip selfies need to die. There’s nothing hot about sticking your lips out like you’re waiting for a kiss. It’s unnatural and unattractive. Instead, try out different facial expressions. Like Tyra Banks advises, why not go for a smize?
- Try out a smile. A genuine smile can truly light up a room, so don’t feel like you can’t smile in your selfies. Not everything needs to be serious and overly sultry in order to be sexy. You might feel a bit awkward smiling at literally nothing, but imagine you’re looking at the face of the person you’re sending these pictures to. That should do the trick.
- Take dozens of different shots. Take several shots to increase your chances of getting one that you’re happy with. And by “several” we mean “dozens.” You’ll probably delete 3/4 of them, but that’s kind of the point. You want to make sure you have options to choose from.
- Get your posture on point. Stop slouching and stand up straight (if you’re standing, that is). Acting like you’re hunched over your computer researching your ex’s new girlfriend at 3 a.m. is not going to translate well in a selfie. Practice good posture — you’ll look taller, slimmer, and a lot more confident.
- Get creative rather than sticking to the status quo. There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to taking sexy selfies. Feel free to experiment and try new things. After all, what’s sexy to you (or your partner) will differ from the next person, so add in some personal touches.
More pointers for hitting those sexy poses
- Consider downloading some third-party apps. If you’re not satisfied with the default camera app on your phone, consider using a specialty app that has more advanced features, such as timer mode or a self-timer interval. Even if you eventually decide not to use them, they could offer options your regular camera doesn’t.
- Focus on a specific body part. Highlighting one particular body part, such as your lips, eyes, or legs, can make for a really f**king sexy selfie. Experiment with different poses and angles that showcase your best features. Boobs and butts are obvious, but if you love those things about yourself, go for it. We’re not here to tell you how to feel hot!
- Stand by the windows. Not only will they ensure you get that all-important natural light, but they add an element of being a bit risque. What if someone sees you? (Kinda exciting, right?)
- Incorporate some props. Props can be a great way to add something unexpected to your pics. Your prop might be an accessory like a hat or it could be something a bit naughtier like a sex toy. It could even be something playful like a baseball uniform or something. The world is your sexy oyster!
- Try the queen of all sexy poses: the cocked hip. There are countless poses you can try when taking sexy selfies, so don’t be afraid to experiment. You can try sitting, standing, lying down, or even leaning against a wall. However, one pose you’ll definitely want to try is the hip cock. It accentuates your butt, conveys attitude, and just never looks bad.
- Check out other people’s sexy poses and their selfies for inspiration. Look for inspiration from other photos, whether they’re of celebrities or friends. There are plenty of them available on Instagram and around the internet. Checking out what other people do and incorporating the elements that you like/that work for you could make all the difference.
- Use mirrors. Mirrors can be a great tool for taking sexy selfies because they allow you to capture multiple angles at once. Experiment with different mirror placements to find the best one for your shot.
- Choose your setting wisely. The setting of your photo can make a big difference in its overall feel. Consider taking photos in a cozy bedroom, an overgrown garden, or even a dimly lit bar. Again. just pay attention to what’s happening in the background so that it doesn’t distract from the main event: you!
- Let your confidence shine. Confidence is key when taking sexy selfies. As we said, you’ll probably feel awkward at first. However, it’s really important that you know what you have to offer and feel good about it. If you feel sexy, you’ll look sexy. It’s that simple.
- Embrace your imperfections. So what if you have cellulite on your thighs or stretch marks on your boobs? Who doesn’t? All of the things you see as imperfections are ones that make you divinely human and really beautiful. Instead of trying to hide these things, celebrate them.
- Consider working with a professional. If you’re struggling to hit the right poses and your selfies are turning out anything but sexy, why not consider working with a boudoir photographer? Making people look super hot is literally their job. They can give you the right guidance and compose pics so that they look amazing. Plus, they’ll big you up the whole time, meaning you’ll leave feeling like a million bucks.
- Don’t overthink it. At the end of the day, sexy selfies are supposed to be fun. They’re not life or death and they’re certainly not make or break for a relationship, if that’s why you’re taking them. They’re a way to embrace your incredible, desirable self. Keep it lighthearted and go with the flow. That way, you’ll never fail.