I love the #nomakeup trend, but I also really enjoy wearing makeup. I don’t wear it because I feel like I have to. At no point did I wake up and go, “Wow, I’m a woman, so I must put 10 layers of makeup on my face before leaving the house.” I do it for me because I love it, and that’s all there is to it. Here’s why makeup is such a pleasure to wear:
- Bye bye, acne (at least temporarily). I thought acne went away as an adult, but no — mine got worse. No one likes having a face full of blemishes and scars. I love being able to mask my acne, at least for a few hours. I feel more beautiful and that’s what’s important.
- 2-in-1 skin care. I don’t like spending forever on my beauty routine. I could apply several different products and take longer or I could just wear a good BB or CC cream for my moisturizer, SPF, anti-aging, color correction and foundation. Hmm… sounds like a no-brainer to me.
- Guys get jealous. OK, so most guys don’t wear makeup. It’s this huge no-no and they get made fun of. It’s kind of fun to watch them get jealous when you get to cover up your flaws. I see it as a balance. I’ll stop wearing makeup when they wear tighter, more revealing jeans.
- “You don’t need makeup.” I love getting this often backhanded compliment. I’ve stopped being offended and just take it as a much needed boost to my ego. Yes, I know I don’t need it, but I enjoy it. Thanks for noticing though.
- Coordinated eyelids and shirts. I’m a little addicted to eye shadow. Seriously, I buy those 30-50 color palette sets and use every color. It doesn’t matter what top I’m wearing, my eyelids are going to match. It’s just a great accessory.
- Mascara loves my eyes. My eyes and mascara are having this crazy mad love affair. My eyes look great on their own, but once mascara gets involved, they’re bigger and more stunning than ever. Why wouldn’t I get the two together when the results are so incredible?
- Red lipstick controls the world. Honestly, who doesn’t respect a woman who can rock red lipstick? She could be the biggest bitch in the world, but you still respect her just a little. If I’m feeling a bit over whelmed or down, I just apply my favorite bright red lipstick and suddenly I can do anything.
- Guess how old I am. I realize I’m just entering my 30s, but it’s still nice when people think I’m a teenager. I don’t know if it’s the makeup, but I know it sure as hell helps drop my age by a few years at least. That’s a whole lot cheaper than plastic surgery or injecting chemicals in my face.
- It enhances my personality. Makeup isn’t just about looking better, it’s about showing off your personality. Guys seem to think makeup’s false advertising. If they’d quit thinking with their smaller brain, they might just realize we’re trying to show them more of who we are.
- I love playing with makeup. So many possibilities, so little time. It’s amazing to me how a little highlighter and bronzer changes the entire shape of my face. I can be a different person from one day to the next. It’s like being a little girl again and playing around in my mom’s makeup.
- It’s healthier than tanning. I’m not a huge fan of looking like a prune by the time I’m 35, so I opt for makeup instead. Besides, makeup washes away a little easier than that tan in a can stuff. As a pale girl, it’s nice to add a little natural color to my face.
- I always look well rested. No one ever needs to know that I stayed up all night binging on Buffy The Vampire Slayer. My trusty tube of concealer hides my under-eye circles and I always look super well rested.
- For a little while, I feel less flawed. I’m well aware of my flaws, inside and out. Sometimes it’s nice to feel somewhat flawless, at least on the outside. It’s a much needed confidence boost on those bad days. Even if I’m not looking in a mirror, I know my skin looks better and that makes me feel better.
Why do I enjoy wearing makeup? I just do and that’s all the answer you should ever have to give.