Everyone knows that one of the highlights of going to Ikea is chowing down on some delicious Swedish meatballs. And while you can buy them at the in-store cafes or even frozen to take home, everyone is kinda SOL while the stores are closed at the moment. Or so you thought! Ikea has finally released their Swedish meatball recipe so you can make them from the comfort of your own home!
- They’re actually made with pretty basic ingredients. Ikea isn’t going to have you running hither and yon for the ingredients for their Swedish meatballs. All you’ll need is 500g ground beef, 250g ground pork, 1 onion, 1 clove of garlic, 100g breadcrumbs, 1 egg, 5 tbsp of whole milk, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix them all up and form into balls and you’re golden.
- You’ll need to rest the mixture for a bit. After you’ve formed your meat mixture into balls, they should be refrigerated for up to two hours so they hold their shape during cooking. Once you’re ready to get them on, heat some oil in a frying pan and then brown the meatballs on all sides before popping them in a covered dish in a 350F oven for another 30 minutes.
- Ikea even released the recipe for the Swedish meatball sauce! What good are Swedish meatballs without the creamy sauce to go with them? For this, you’ll need a dash of oil, 40g of butter, 40g of all-purpose flour, 150ml vegetable stock, 150ml of beef stock, 150ml heavy cream, 2 teaspoons of soy sauce, and 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard. Ready? Let’s do this thing.
- The sauce is simple enough to make. Start by melting the butter, then whisk in the flour and keep stirring continuously until the flour cooks through. Then add the stock and stir through before adding the heavy cream, the soy sauce, and the mustard. Let the sauce come to a simmer and thicken and when it has, you’re good to go.
- Don’t forget the potatoes. A recipe for Ikea’s legendary Swedish meatballs wouldn’t be complete without boiled potatoes to go with it. There’s no instructions for those, you’ll have to do that on your own. However, they’re a valuable addition to your plate for sure.