When you invest a ton of time and energy into a relationship and a guy, it’s no wonder you’re hesitant to give it up and walk away. However, there comes a point when you have to call a spade a spade and admit that this toxic situation needs to end. If you notice these signs of trouble in your relationship it’s time to break up and move on to something better, even if that’s just being on your own for a while.
- You have no desire to spend time with him anymore. I feel like it’s pretty obvious that if you have a boyfriend you literally never want to be around, he probably shouldn’t be your boyfriend anymore. This is one of the biggest signs that things between you have run their course and you need to break up ASAP. You should be with someone that you actually want to be with. Otherwise, you might as well be single.
- You feel like you’re walking on eggshells. If you find yourself tip-toeing around certain topics with your partner or avoiding them altogether in order not to set off their temper or trigger another argument between you, what are you even doing? First of all, you’re supposedly dating a grown man who should be able to communicate like an adult. You should not have to handle him with kid gloves because he’s too immature to cope. Second of all, this guy needs to be dumped.
- He gaslights or manipulates you. Whoa, whoa, whoa. This is not okay. In fact, it actually qualifies abuse and is at the very top of the list of signs it’s time to break up. In fact, you need to not just break up with him but literally block him on everything ever and never speak to him again. Never, ever let anyone make you feel like you’re “crazy” for demanding respect or calling out their bad behavior, and never let anyone manipulate you into doing things you don’t want to do. You’re better than that.
- Your needs aren’t being met. Sometimes this isn’t his fault – maybe he legitimately just can’t meet your needs anymore. Or, maybe he’s stopped trying to meet them because he’s selfish and more worried about himself. Whatever the reason, it’s probably time to call it quits. While a partner can never meet all of your needs in life, nor should you expect them to, if he’s falling short as a good boyfriend, you don’t really need him.
- You’ve started to have a wandering eye. If this isn’t one of the biggest warning signs, I don’t know what is. Before you end up cheating on him, emotionally or otherwise, you need to break up with your boyfriend. Regardless of how bad your current relationship is or whether he did it first, you never sink to that level. Lead with honesty and walk away so you can explore that greener grass in your head.
- Your friends and family think you need to end it. Obviously your friends and family aren’t the authority on your relationship given that they only see/hear one side of it. However, if the overwhelming opinion is that you guys are terrible together and you’ve changed for the worse since getting with them, take the hint.