There’s a fine line about being realistic about your dream boyfriend and being so ridiculous you think that no one is ever good enough for you. It’s a tricky balance, but you have to figure it out or you totally risk ruining your chances at love forever. There’s nothing wrong with having high standards, but if you reject guys based on these 8 things, you’re officially too picky and need to dial it back.
- His hobbies and interests. Some guys are into sports and grilling, others love running and cooking. You don’t have the same interests as your friends or every other woman on the planet, so why judge a guy on how he likes to spend his free time? Unless it’s super weird or sketchy, you really have zero business giving a crap.
- Whether he’s a workaholic or not. Just because someone enjoys their 9-to-5 lifestyle and doesn’t burn the midnight oil or work 24/7 doesn’t make them lazy or a loser. Everyone works in different ways. If you’re a perfectionist who lives to work, that doesn’t mean you can’t be with someone who doesn’t feel that way. After all, opposites attract every day, right?
- How he feels about his mom. People are always saying that you never want to date a mama’s boy because it’s creepy and you’ll never have her place in his life and heart — but why would you want to replace his mom? Just because a guy likes his mom doesn’t mean anything. It just means he’s a nice guy (probably and hopefully).
- Whether he’s jumping for joy for a second date. This may be kind of controversial, but the thing is, some guys are super confident and others are quieter. Just because a guy doesn’t profess his undying love for you 30 minutes after you meet doesn’t mean he hates you and never wants to see you again. If you write guys off because they don’t compliment you like crazy right off the bat, you need to stop. Give him a chance to know you — maybe he just wants to take things slow.
- Whether he agrees with you on everything. You can’t expect other people to think that every single thing that you say is solid gold. Just because you and this guy aren’t on the same page about everything doesn’t mean it’s a match made in hell. He could still be a great guy. Pick a few non-negotiables but be open.
- His texting style. If a guy isn’t obsessive about texting you, that doesn’t mean he’s not into you. You should actually be glad he give you some room to breathe. As long as he’s still contacting you on the reg, you shouldn’t be so picky about how long he takes to text back.
- His dating history. Who cares if he was a Tinder addict before he realized how awesome life with you is? Who cares if he’s had more relationships than you or, on the flip side, has never fallen in love? That literally means nothing. Don’t jump to conclusions before hearing the real story.
- First date mistakes. It’s easy to say goodbye to a guy before you’ve even gotten a chance to know him because he accidentally mentions his ex on your first date or does one of the million other things we’re not supposed to do. But so what? Rules are made to be broken and sometimes you have to just let go and stop taking everything so seriously. Dating is supposed to be about finding a love connection, not getting upset about things that don’t even matter at all in the long run.