If you’re single and looking, you’re likely on Tinder. Unfortunately, the dating app takes this whole experience that’s supposed to be about building something real and potentially long-term, and instead turns it into furious left swiping on anyone who doesn’t immediately jump out at you in a matter of seconds. You’ve probably gotten bored and frustrated with the whole Tinder thing and deleted it, but you always come back for more. Why is that?
- You’re trying to believe in second chances. Everybody deserves a second chance, right? If it’s been a while since you’ve had any action or even any interest from a guy, you pick up your phone after three mojitos and decide that swiping right could be the highlight of your night. You never know — maybe this time you’ll find a great guy (but probably not).
- You’re trying to assuage your loneliness. They need an app called Cuddler, because that’s the main thing you miss when you’re single for long periods of time. Tinder might seem like a great way to cure that loneliness, but unless by “lonely” you mean “horny and looking for a one-night stand”, you’ll probably end up disappointed.
- You need a distraction. Whether you just went through a breakup or your high school sweetheart just got married to your ex-best friend, sometimes you need a distraction from the crap going on in the rest of your life. Sure, it’s not necessarily the healthiest distraction if you’re following through meeting these guys, but doing some swiping every now and then is relatively harmless, right?
- You’re in it for the free meals/drinks/sex. If you actually score some real dates on Tinder, as rare as they are, you might also score a free meal, some free cocktails, or some bangin’ (no pun intended) sex without much effort. But is all the Tinder BS really worth it for a free $10 entree? Eh, probably not, but whatever.
- You’re horny as hell. Tinder is sort of a straight spin-off of Grindr, so no wonder it’s known as the biggest hook-up app out there. As it turns out, if you’ve got an itch, Tinder can definitely help you scratch it (safely, of course). There’s nothing wrong with seeking out casual sex if that’s what you’re into, and there’s no better place to look for it.
- You’re in it for the lolz. Is there anything more hilarious than the crap guys put on their Tinder profiles? Between pathological liars who don’t realize how obvious they are and pretty boys who think they’re God’s gift to women, the laugh potential is through the roof.
- You don’t want to miss out on anything. All your single friends are on Tinder, even if they’re not looking for serious relationships on it, and you feel like you should join in. It gives you something to talk about at brunch and makes you feel like you’re actually in the know, and if there’s anything you hate, it’s not knowing what’s up.