A 50-year-old Michigan man is being charged with murder and cannibalism after apparently killing and partially eating 25-year-old Kevin Bacon. The pair met on the gay dating app Grindr, and while Bacon initially texted his friend and roommate saying he was having a great time, he was found dead in Mark Latunski’s apartment in Bennington Township on December 28.
- It was a particularly gruesome crime. Latunski hasn’t denied involvement in Bacon’s death. In fact, he admitted to officers that he stabbed the younger man in the back and slit his throat before cutting off his testicles and eating them. It was said that Bacon had been suspended by his ankles from the ceiling for at least four days when his body was discovered.
- The pair initially connected on Christmas Eve. To make this even more horrific, Bacon and Latunski began chatting on Grindr on December 24 and decided to meet up. Bacon’s roommate, Michelle Myers, was the last to see him alive and initially believed he was just having a good time. Bacon went to meet Latunski around 5 p.m. and texted Myers just after 6 to say he’d be awhile because he was having a good time.
- Bacon’s parents became suspicious on Christmas Day. When Bacon didn’t show up for Christmas breakfast, his father began to worry about his whereabouts and his safety. They contacted police later that day and on December 26, Bacon’s clothes were found in a bag in the backseat of his car, though the keys to the vehicle seemed to be missing.
- What a terrible, tragic loss of life. As Myers told Michigan Live about her friend, “Kevin was a colorful, vibrant being both inside and out. He did what he wanted to, when he wanted to, and let very little hold him back. He was attentive and could remember all the small details – even all the ones that you forgot.” He was a hairdresser who was also studying psychology at the University of Michigan-Flint.
- After hearing about his story, the actor Kevin Bacon felt compelled to share a tribute via his Instagram page. “For obvious reasons I’m thinking this morning about the friends and Family of this young person Kevin Bacon. His life was taken from him much too soon,” he wrote. “His love was hair dressing. I bet he would have done a great job on this mess on my head. RIP KB.”
- Hopefully Latunski is locked up and never allowed out again. Only a monster could commit a murder, especially one so heinous. His initial examination is scheduled for January 8 and he will face a pretrial on January 14. He’s being charged with one count of open murder and one count of mutilation of a human body.