For free-spirited women, love is an amazing and eye-opening experience if we can actually manage to find the right partner. With the wrong guy, we become the worst version of ourselves and disaster is inevitable. What we need is someone who understands these important things about those of us who are a little more unconventional:
- Trying to domesticate us will totally backfire. Full disclosure: we’ll never be the women who make you dinner promptly at 6pm every night and cleans the house until it sparkles. If we feel like a guy is trying to dim our shine, it sets off our internal alarm system. Fight or flight, baby. By that I mean, we’ll either smack you in the face and leave you or we’ll book a last minute flight to Honolulu and leave you. Either way, trying to domesticate us won’t end well for you. We may not be the perfect housewives, but there won’t be a dull moment when you’re dating a free spirit.
- If we don’t like you, don’t be surprised if we disappear. We play off of vibes and energy. If it’s hard for us to explain exactly why we don’t like a guy, it’s probably because he gives off crappy vibes. Being a free spirit and being an emotional person go hand in hand, so when someone has a loser-ish energy to them without explicitly acting like a douchebag, it brings us down too. Instead of trying to explain why we don’t want to be around a guy anymore, it’s easier for us to just stop giving them our attention altogether.
- We’re completely shameless in demanding what we want. In the best way possible, of course. We aren’t cold or insensitive, we just overcame the fear of our insecurities and have been working on embracing ourselves for a long time now. That means manipulative dudes who love mind games need to step aside. We can sniff you out from a mile away and your player tactics don’t work on us. Just because we’re tough doesn’t mean we aren’t sensitive.
- We chase experiences, not engagement rings. We believe that at the end of the day, it’s our experiences in life that make us richer human beings, not material possessions. If you’re the type of guy who craves the stability of owning a bungalow in the nice part of town with an SUV and a house full of furniture you never sit on, we’re not the type of woman you’re looking to wife. We don’t do the whole wifey thing. We want someone who will either share our passion for pushing ourselves out of our comfort zones and headfirst into situations that both excite and scare us at the same time. We’re life junkies — we just can’t get enough of it.
- We’re kinda always late. Seriously, let us apologize in advance because we don’t get anywhere on time. It’s not that we don’t want to go, we just suck at time management. Once we get an idea in our heads, we have to see it through. See, what started out as a simple winged eyeliner look turns into a 35 minute experimentation with a makeup tutorial we saw on our Instagram feed earlier. There was glitter involved. We’re not sorry. The point is, we’re creative types and time management isn’t our strong suit. We can have a sudden genius flash of inspiration at any moment, and we have to see it through! As the boyfriend of a free spirit, you have to understand that rushing us is just going to distract us, and we do that well enough on our own. Don’t mess with the flow, bro.
- We will never, ever settle. Consider yourself lucky. If you’re dating a free spirit, it’s like sleeping next to a wild tiger. We’re with you because we want to be. We love you because we want to love you. We never settle for less than we think we deserve, and we’re drawn to men who are extraordinary and who appreciate us for the wild roses we are, thorns and all. We know our worth and if we think we’re getting shafted in a relationship, we get out of there faster than Ryan Lochte got out of Rio. We choose our passengers on this nuts ride and only the real ones get to stay. We would rather be alone forever than spend another day with the wrong person. We are totally down to have a partner in crime, but we don’t mind being a one-woman show if we can’t find a guy to keep up with us.