Remember when Lady Gaga and Beyonce got together to make “Telephone”? It was legendary. The year was 2009 and both pop stars were at the very top of their game (not much has changed there). It seemed only natural that they would collab on a track, really. The experience allowed them to strike up a friendship, one that hit a minor stumble when Lady Gaga inadvertently traumatized Beyonce by smoking “nine joints” in front of her.
- The story came from Gaga herself. This isn’t some salacious gossip mag situation — Gaga, real name Stefani Germanaotta, told the story in her Netflix documentary, “Gaga: Five Foot Two.”
- If you switched the doc off when the credits started rolling, you missed out. During the end credits was where Gaga told the hilarious story, which is a shame because it really did deserve its own segment.
- Lady Gaga happened to run into Beyonce and Jay-Z. It’s unclear where this meetup happened, but when it did, Gaga was smoking a fatty and feeling pretty good. No big deal, especially since Jay and Bey likely smoke or have done in the past. However, they weren’t quite prepared for how hardcore the “Poker Face” singer could go.
- Beyonce had a “panic attack” when she saw how much Lady Gaga could smoke. As Gaga explained in the documentary, “That was the night I gave Beyonce a panic attack. I don’t know. I just always feel like I’m with her and Jay Z, I’m always hanging out in the corner with like nine joints hanging out of my mouth being like, “Whaaaat’s up?’”
- That didn’t go over well with Beyonce. Queen Bey likely knows how to limit her intake, so seeing Lady Gaga getting stoned out of her mind left her feeling a bit taken aback. “She’s like, ‘You’re not a lady but why? How is this working?’” Gaga recalled.
- Gaga considered getting sober in 2020. While she was making “Chromatica,” she considered giving up alcohol but decided against it in the end. “I don’t take any pain medication, because it’s not healthy for me. But I’ve flirted with the idea of sobriety,” she told Zane Lowe in an Apple Music interview. “I’m not there yet, but I flirted with it throughout the album, and it’s something that came up as a result of me trying to work through the pain that I was feeling.”