It can be a really awkward situation when you suddenly realize that the person you’ve been talking to is probably better off as a friend and you aren’t feeling much relationship material anymore. It can be uncomfortable, sure, but you have to be honest with them because it’s wrong to lead them on or let them believe something might be developing between you. If you’re not sure how to break the news, here are some chill rejection texts that you can send to try and let them down easy.
- “I want to be honest with you because I don’t want to waste your time.” It always softens the blow when you let someone know that you’re breaking things off for their benefit too. You don’t want to lead anyone on and make the pain worse, so let them know that you want them to be free to find someone who has the same feelings for them.
- “After getting to know each other, I feel like we work better as friends.” It’s always nice to be as straightforward as possible. It helps you get right to the point and it doesn’t insult the other person’s intelligence by trying to tip-toe around the obvious or avoid being honest. They’ll understand, and if they don’t, maybe they’re just not going to be a friend and that’s okay too.
- “I’m looking for something long-term and I just don’t see us heading in that direction.” This is a good way to let someone know that you just don’t see a future with them without being so blunt about it. It leaves the reason slightly vague, suggesting that they’re looking for something more casual but in actuality, you’re saying that the two of you just aren’t right for each other and wouldn’t last long-term.
- “I think we’re both feeling the same thing, that there’s just not much chemistry here.” Another chill way of letting them down easy is by not just announcing your feelings but prompting them to admit their own as well. It’s not about tricking them into thinking it’s their idea but rather being the first one to bring it up if you’re feeling like it’s falling flat for both of you. Chances are if you’re not feeling a spark, they’re not feeling one either but they might not want to be the first one to bring it up.
- “I’m still trying to figure out what I want right now and I don’t want to leave you hanging.” Be honest with them and tell them if you’re confused. You might enjoy talking to them but aren’t sure yet if that means that you have romantic feelings towards them or just platonic ones. The best thing to do is be upfront with them and let them know that you aren’t sure what you want and give them the freedom to do with that what they will.
- “I think you’re amazing, I just don’t think we connect on a romantic level.” Always make sure that you’re thinking of the other person’s feelings and leading the rejection with something positive is a great way to do that. After all, you do like this person and you want to remain friends with them. You just don’t want to lead them to believe something more is developing between the two of you if that’s not the case.
- “I’m so glad we met and have started talking! I just feel like we’re on more of a friends level right now.” Another compliment that will help soften the blow is just letting them know how happy you are that you’ve met them and have gotten to know them better. You enjoy their company and are grateful that they’re in your life now, you just feel like that’s more on a “just friends” basis rather than a romantic interest one.
- “I don’t want to lose you in my life but I also think we should both be free to explore other relationships that might be better for us.” This message is a good way of letting the person know that if they happen to meet someone that they feel a connection with, you’re totally cool with them pursuing something else. By telling them that you think the both of you should explore other reltionships, you’re letting them know in so many words that you’d like to move on from this situation while still leaving the door open for the future because you never know what could happen later on.
- “I think you’d be an amazing partner for the right person, I just don’t think I’m the one for you.” Explaining to someone that you don’t think you’re compatible with them on a romantic level can be tricky but when you assure them that it’s nothing that they need to change about themselves and simply that the two of you don’t seem to fit in that way, it’s a great way to make sure that they’re confidence is still being boosted. If they’re a true friend to you, they’ll understand and be okay with it. They wouldn’t want to be with someone that isn’t the right match for them either and who knows? Maybe you’ve got some single friends that would be perfect for them! It doesn’t always have to end awkwardly!