We know that athletes are in peak physical condition, which is why it’s always so shocking when they experience a serious health scare. Bronny James, the 18-year-old son of LeBron James, was rushed to hospital this week after he had a cardiac arrest during basketball practice in what was a terrifying and upsetting incident for his family, friends, and fans alike.
View this post on Instagram
Here’s what you need to know about what happened and about how Bronny James is doing following his cardiac arrest.
- Bronny is the oldest James kid. LeBron James and his wife Savannah have three kids together. Bronny is the oldest at 18, but they also have a 16-year-old son named Bryce Maximus, as well as an 8-year-old daughter named Zhuri Nova.
- Bronny has been following in his dad’s footsteps. He played basketball throughout high school, and NBA experts have already been talking about where — not whether or not it’ll happen at all — Bronny will be drafted in 2024.
- He’s a very good basketball player with great prospects. “Bronny James is the No. 17 projected player in our draft class tomorrow. He has a very high floor because of his brain, his defensive instincts, he can make spot-up jumpers, his feel for the game, his competitiveness… Bronny James is as improved a player as any prospect in this class,” said ESPN draft expert Jonathan Givony.
- Bronny was practicing at the University of Southern California when he had a cardiac arrest on July 24. He was immediately rushed to the hospital and taken to intensive care. However, he was quickly stabilized and released from intensive care shortly after.
- The James family issued a statement to TMZ following the incident. “(Monday) while practicing Bronny James suffered a cardiac arrest. Medical staff was able to treat Bronny and take him to the hospital,” it said. “We ask for respect and privacy for the James family and we will update media when there is more information.”
- The family is grateful to the USC staff who sprung into action to help save Bronny. The statement continued, adding that LeBron and Savannah “publicly send their deepest thanks and appreciation to the USC medical and athletic staff for their incredible work and dedication to the safety of their athletes.”
- Bronny, along with his siblings, has had a huge impact on LeBron James as a person. As the dad told Tim Ferriss’ podcast, “What I’ve learned is to get the best out of my three kids, I can’t approach them all the same way because they all have different personalities.” He added: “They all are different, and I had to find out how to tap into each one of my kids to get the same results but teach them differently, and that’s the same with being the leader of a basketball team or a franchise.”
Just Released 911 Tapes Reveal LeBron James’ Son Was Unconscious and Required CPR Before Being Rushed to the Hospital
“Bronny James lost consciousness and was taken Code 3 lights and sirens to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center by ambulance…The medical team team that treated Bronny… pic.twitter.com/4Jex4ZuwOV
— Chief Nerd (@TheChiefNerd) July 26, 2023
How does a seemingly healthy 18-year-old go into cardiac arrest?
Dr. @CelineGounder says the event “happens more often than we actually realize” — adding that Bronny James’ cardiac event “has nothing to do with COVID-19 vaccines.” https://t.co/2QkP1KMBDo pic.twitter.com/vrYgFkBbs9
— CBS Mornings (@CBSMornings) July 26, 2023
praying for bronny james 🙏🏼pic.twitter.com/IMKxeuoLKH
— Nick✩🪐 (@weluvyounickk2) July 25, 2023
Bronny James Doing Well, LeBron and Savannah Relieved, More Tests Needed https://t.co/GuaIphJIdI
— TMZ (@TMZ) July 26, 2023