Even the best long-term relationships require effort and attention to maintain. Just because you’re comfortable with your partner and content with where you’re at doesn’t mean you should stop going the extra mile to not just help your relationship survive but ensure it actually thrives. Here are some little ways to nurture your relationship so that your partnership stays strong and healthy.
- Offer a little affection. Maybe you’re still having sex regularly, but how often do you indulge in physical touch just for the sake of it? Holding hands, a kiss on the cheek, or even cuddling on the couch while watching Netflix can go such a long way in ensuring you and your partner feel close, loved, and cared for. It’s one of the simplest yet most important ways to nurture your relationship long-term.
- Plan fun things to do together. Don’t just say you’re tired after work and settle for doing absolutely nothing because it takes less effort and you’d rather be in pajamas. Remember when you first got together and you were always out and about, exploring the world and having so much fun? Keep that up! Every once in a while, plan an activity outside the house that’s either new to you both or that you used to love but haven’t tried in a while. Having fun together will help cement your bond even more.
- Set aside time for romance. This is very similar to some of the above items, but it’s still worth mentioning as its own thing. Romance isn’t just for the courtship or honeymoon phases of a relationship. Everyone likes to feel adored and chased a bit, and setting a romantic atmosphere even if you’re months or years into the relationship is even more special because the stakes are so much lower. You already know you love each other, so you can enjoy the romance for what it is.
- Offer them at least one genuine compliment every day. It seems strange to say that giving your partner a compliment can serve to nurture your relationship, but why wouldn’t it? Getting a confidence boost from your partner is one of the best feelings in the world and leaves you with a smile on your face all day long. While you should never compliment them when you don’t genuinely feel it, there’s obviously plenty to like about them since that’s why you’re together. Remind them and watch them light up.
- Show appreciation for all that they do for you. Maybe they always make your coffee in the morning because you struggle to get out of bed, or they remembered to pick up the dry cleaning with a dress you wanted to wear tomorrow after you forgot and were already home. These little things are minor in the grand scheme of things, but they serve to make your life easier. Thank your partner for them.
- Keep the lines of communication open. This is probably the best way of all to nurture your relationship with your partner. Talk. Whether something is bothering you or there’s nothing at all going on, communicate with one another openly and honestly and watch your relationship blossom.