Every once in a while, playing the lottery can be fun. Whether you prefer the big draws or just picking up a scratch card while at the gas station, you have to play to win, right? That’s what Iowa native Tyler Heep thought when he used the change in his car to pick up a few scratchers. Lucky for him, he won $1, and the way he cashed in his big prize is absolutely brilliant.
- He didn’t just cash it in at the store he bought it from. While most of us would just use the $1 to get another one the next time we were at a store that sells lottery tickets, Tyler Heep wasn’t having that. Instead of cashing it in at a convenience store, he drove to the Iowa Lottery Headquarters to claim his prize. “I just went by the state lottery office,” he wrote in a Facebook post. “I figured it would be worth a shot and they all thought it was really funny. I’m surprised nobody else has done this before.”
- He got the millionaire treatment for sure. Once at the state lottery headquarters, Heep was given a pretty warm welcome by staff who thought it was hilarious and were happy to indulge him. He asked for one of the giant checks usually reserved for millionaires and that’s exactly what he got.
- This is how you do the lottery. “They decided to treat me like a million-dollar winner,” Tyler Heep told NBC 13. “The guy came down the stairs and they took me into the back room where the camera was with the Iowa Lottery logo. Sure enough, they wrote me the one-dollar check and had me hold it up and took the picture.”
- The Iowa Lottery staff had as much fun as Tyler Heep did. Staff at the office were glad that Heep decided to cash in his minor prize in such a major way, thanking him for reminding everyone to have fun and insisting they were happy to indulge him. “It’s a winning experience after all!” they told NBC News.
- Tyler Heep, you’re a national hero! Not only did you win $1 on the lottery, but you cashed it in like a total baller. May we all learn from your shining example of excellence.