Our relationship was a total disaster — it just didn’t work. No matter how much we claimed to love each other, we couldn’t weather the hard times and keep it together as a couple. However, one thing we did have that truly was magical was our friendship. Too bad we can’t even have that now that we’re over.
- There’s too much history. It’s so hard to be friends with an ex. It’s even harder when that person is your best friend. There is so much history, it’s hard to know when you’re too close. As much as I wish we could erase our relationship and just have our friendship, those memories and times together will always be there.
- We will still get jealous. Yes, you have a new girlfriend and I have a new boyfriend, but that doesn’t mean I want to hear about her. According to me, I’m still the best thing that ever happened to you, not her. And even if we’re just friends I like to believe that you’re still heartbroken over not having me and cry every night wishing you could get me back.
- We both have new relationships. No matter how many times you try to explain that your relationship with your ex is nothing to worry about, no guy is going to honestly be okay with it. Because I respect my current boyfriend and his wishes, I don’t have any relationships with past boyfriends — not even if you’re my best friend.
- We always push for more. When we do try to be just friends, we remember how much we enjoy each other and love being around each other… and that makes us think we should try being in a relationship again. But we need to remember that the 16th time is NOT a charm. No matter how many times we try to stay just friends, we always want more. And every time we try to be more, our relationship fails.
- I can talk to you about anything, but I actually can’t. No matter what it is, I know I can talk to you and not feel embarrassed or judged. I know you’ll make me laugh even when I’m bawling my eyes out. I can always count on you, but that isn’t your role anymore. I need to be focused on building that type of trust and communication with the person I’m in a relationship with, and I can’t do that if you’re still around.
- You can’t stay faithful when we’re friends. We tried it once. I was single and you were in a relationship and we thought we could make this friendship work. But there was too much chemistry between us still and you were unfaithful to your girlfriend. Yes, it still counts as cheating on her even if you’ve kissed me before. I don’t want to be the reason you cheat. As much as I love our friendship, I didn’t want to do that to her.
- We cause trouble together. Whether it’s going to our hardest college class drunk off our asses or making out on my sister’s bed, we tend to make fun but terrible decisions when we’re together. Even if we could have our awesome friendship, I wouldn’t be surprised if it landed us in jail at some point.
- You will forever hold a place in my heart. I will never forget you. You’ll always mean so much to me and I’ll always care about you. I wish I could be there for you and be the friend you deserve, just as I wish I could have you in my life. But that isn’t reality. We couldn’t make our relationship work, but you’ll always be my best friend — even if we never talk again.