If you grew up during the ’90s, you’ll likely have played Mall Madness at some point. The classic board game included an electronic “bank” that would randomly refuse you cash or tell you to “try again later” due to long lines, plus it made random announcements about sales at the various stores so you knew where to go to grab a bargain. I’m often nostalgic for this game, but thankfully Hasbro wants to indulge that nostalgia and is bringing back Mall Madness later this year!
- This isn’t the first return of Mall Madness. To be fair, the initial game came out in 1988 and it had re-releases in 1989, 1996, and 2004. However, it’s been a long time since we’ve had a truly updated version of the game with the latest and greatest technology included, so I’m looking forward to the 2020 edition.
- In case you haven’t played, here’s the rundown. The way to win Mall Madness is simple: be the first person to buy all the items on your shopping list and voila, you’re the champ. Once the game returns this fall, you’ll be able to shop ’til you drop again, all for $24.99 (which is the retail price it will be sold for online and in stores).
- Who doesn’t love a shopping spree? In a statement given to Bustle, Julien McCluney, Hasbro VP Global Brand Strategy & Marketing, said, “In the original Mall Madness – as well as the new edition – the game is centered around the exciting experience of going on a shopping spree with friends. The fact that so many adults reminisce about the original [game] more than 30 years after its initial release speaks volumes to its place in pop culture!”
- The original feel of the same will remain intact, but there will be some updates. If you’re worried that the updated version of Mall Madness might lack the magic of the original, have no fear: all of the cool stores and the layout you love will return. “While the look and feel of the mall in 2020 has changed, many of the game’s core elements remain the same. … In the new edition, players will get to choose a personality and play as Gwen, Sage, Avery, or Dax while in the original game, the pawns were different colors.”
- If you’re as excited as me, you can preorder the game now. Amazon has the updated version of Mall Madness available for pre-order now, meaning you’ll get it on the release date on October 1. You can order yours HERE*.
* Please be aware that Bolde does use affiliate links and may make a small profit on any sales completed via links we provide, which we then put back into the site to continue bringing you great content. As a small business, we really appreciate your support!