A British man’s passing has been ruled a “death by misadventure” after he consumed too much caffeine, an inquest revealed. Welder Lukasz Sandelewski was found unconscious in his room in a shared house in the English town of Peterborough after his mother became worried about him and alerted one of his roommates. Sandelewski was only 36.
- He had an unquestionably fatal dose of caffeine in his blood. After an autopsy, it was discovered that Sandelewski had 282 micrograms of caffeine per milliliter of blood. For reference, anything above 80 has the potential to kill you, so it seems this guy didn’t stand a chance.
- It’s not clear what caffeinated beverages he was drinking. It wasn’t immediately revealed whether he drank a lot of coffee, soda, energy drinks, or other caffeine-containing beverages, but Cambridgeshire Live reports that his room was “very cluttered with lots of empty drinking vessels on the floor.”
- This is a terrible but unavoidable accident. As Cambridgeshire assistant coroner Sean Horstead said in a statement, “Lukasz Sandelewski was found deceased at his home address. It’s unclear how or by what means the deceased consumed very significant levels of caffeine but caffeine toxicity is the cause of his death. His death was the unintended consequence of a deliberate act. He deliberately consumed a significant and fatal quantity of caffeine but I’m satisfied the consequences of that weren’t intended by him.”
- Sandelewski also had alcohol in his system. However, at 112 micrograms per 100 ml of blood, while that would have made it illegal for him to drive, it shouldn’t have been enough to kill him on its own. Horstead said it was “a level of intoxication but nothing more.”
- While a freak tragedy, it goes to show you can have too much of a good thing. While it’s unlikely that most people would consume quite so much caffeine in a short amount of time that could have these dire consequences, it’s worth it to be aware of how much you’re having.