Losing a limb is a traumatic experience regardless of the circumstances under which it happens. However, one man decided to try and bring some levity to what is a very upsetting situation by saving his severed leg, then cooking up some of the meat from it and serving it to his friends in tacos. Stranger yet, 10 of them actually agreed to eat it despite knowing what it was.
- Shiny shared his experience on Reddit. In a Reddit post, a man known as Shiny revealed that he got into a motorcycle crash that shattered his foot so badly that he’d never be able to walk on it again. The doctor asked if he wanted to amputate and Shiny said yes, so long as he got to keep the limb. The hospital said yes.
- The special meal went down three weeks after the accident. On Sunday, July 10, 2016, Shiny invited 10 of his closest pals around to his house for brunch. They had lots of “normal” food like quiche puff pastries, chocolate cake, and tarts, Vice reports. They even had cocktails including gin lemonade punch and mimosas. Then there was the main event: fajita tacos made with Shiny’s leg meat.
- Technically, it’s not illegal. Only in Idaho is eating human flesh punishable by law. In every other state, there’s no explicit rule that says you can’t. Murder is illegal, of course, as is buying and selling human meat and the desecration of corpses, but other than that, you’re good to go.
- So why did he do it? According to Shiny, he originally wanted to get his foot taxidermied but couldn’t find anyone who would take him seriously. Freeze-drying the limb was also a bit too costly, so he decided to make a plaster cast before cremating the foot. However, before he did so, he sliced off a bit of shin and threw it back in the freezer before coming up with the idea to eat it with his friends.
- Yes, his friends were actually into the idea. According to Shiny, he and his friends always joked that if they could ethically try human flesh, they would do so. This was his way of calling their bluff. He invited 11 friends and 10 of them said yes. After all, opportunities like this don’t come around every day.
- A chef friend was called in to prepare the meat. “He marinated it overnight and sauteed it with onions, peppers, salt, pepper, and lime juice. Then he served it on corn tortillas with a tomatillo sauce,” Shiny told Vice of the preparation. Everyone sat around and ate it, but not everyone was into the taste. “One friend had to spit me into a napkin,” Shiny shared in his Reddit post. He even documented the entire process in photos.
- Most importantly, how did it taste? Not as bad as you’d probably think but also not that great. “This particular cut was super beefy. It had a very pronounced, beefy flavor to it. The muscle I cut was tough and chewy. It tasted good, but the experience wasn’t the best,” Shiny said. Fair enough!