A 25-year-old Montana man decided to quit his job to embark on a cross-country road trip to date a woman from each of the 50 states. Matthew Wurnig had only ever gone on five dates before starting his mission, and he’s now completed his task of dating 50 women from around the country. He even documented the whole experience for more than half a million TikTok followers!
- Wurnig launched his mission after lockdown lifted. Since then, he’s gone on all kinds of amazing dates, from taking a hot air balloon ride with a woman in New Mexico to flying a plane with a woman in Minnesota, just to name a couple. “Before the pandemic, I had only ever been on five dates. Now, I have been on 100 and I still don’t understand women,” he told Newsweek.
- He started going on Zoom dates during the pandemic. Like many frustrated singletons, Wurnig joined dating apps during lockdown and “met” many women virtually before deciding to take his mission into the real world. “The reason I downloaded Tinder was boredom, there was a lot of negativity in the news so I wanted to do something uplifting to keep myself entertained,” he recalled. “I then had a lightbulb moment when I realized you can change the location settings and I began virtually dating women from L.A., New York, and Dallas.” In January 2021, he set off on his journey.
- The dates haven’t always gone well. Though he’s had a great time with many different women, Wurnig admits: “I don’t have a 100% success rate. I have been left on read a few times.” He finished his first journey in June 2021 before deciding to do it all over again.
- He set out for a second season in February 2022. His series, 50 Dates 50 States, was worthy of another “season,” he believed, so he headed back out on the road and has now been on more than 100 dates. This time around, he went ziplining through the mountains in New Hamsphire, riding in an airboat in the swamps of Louisiana, and went hunting for grogs in Arkansas, among other unconventional experiences. “Some dates I may connect with more than others but I have developed a mindset of a mission to accomplish,” he said.
- Wurnig always makes sure to be a gentleman on his dates. “We always have a lot of fun. I’ve been on hiking dates in national parks, laser tag, bike rides, and a handful of sports games,” he said of planning his dates. “I make sure that I always treat my dates and pick up the check. I was raised to believe that the man should pay for the first date,” the Midwestern gentleman said. It’s polite if the woman offers to split it but I would never accept.”