We all dream of winning the lottery and fantasizing about what we’d do with our newfound wealth. From quitting our jobs and traveling the world to helping our friends and family live more comfortably, none of us would have trouble spending the cash. One woman’s generosity, however, is causing major problems for her relationship as she told her current boyfriend she wants to share her lottery winnings with her ex-husband.
- The woman had won a seven-figure amount. While Abby Joseph, the friend of the woman who won and the one who relayed the story, declined to give the specific amount, the lottery win was significant. Needless to say, it was enough to make a major change to her life and the lives of everyone she knows.
- She and her ex-husband share custody of their three kids. Despite being divorced, the woman and her ex have a very good relationship and she is “at a loss for words when it comes to praising him.” They only ended their relationship because the woman had an affair, but her ex swallowed his pride enough to forgive her so that they could parent their children together. “Even though I am aware that he was experiencing anguish, he made every effort to ensure that the dissolution of our marriage was as amicable as possible. Even now, he maintains a strong relationship with my entire family, and that includes both of my parents!”
- Her ex-husband and her current partner do not have a relationship. They don’t speak at all, but her ex-husband is still a big part of her life and he was the first one she told when she won the lottery. “After that, he made a joke about how I could retire early and take the children on a trip across the globe. That sums it up well.”
- She knew immediately that she wanted to give her ex-husband a “fair chunk of the money.” Given that she still cares about him a lot and he’s the father of her kids, she feels like giving him money is a natural choice to show him how much he means to her and that she’s “not a complete and utter jerk” despite all that’s happened over the years. Not only that, but he doesn’t make much in his job so she knows that helping him financially will give him and their kids an even better life.
- The woman’s current partner is really not happy. While the woman hasn’t told her ex-husband about her plans to give him money, she discussed the plan with a lawyer and told her current partner, who hasn’t taken the news well. “He yelled and raged at me that I was insulting him because I still love my ex-husband, but I told him that’s not the case. I do not have romantic feelings for him. However, I still cherish him for being such a wonderful co-parent and father, despite the fact that we have grown apart.”
- She’s not backing down on her plan. If anything, her boyfriend becoming so enraged by her desire to help her ex-husband and the father of her children has only made him see the man’s true colors. Plus, it’s made her feel even more certain about her desire to give some money to her ex-husband.
What do you think? Is she doing the right thing?