One of my fondest holiday memories from growing up is when I opened a present on Christmas morning to unveil my first boombox with a CD player on it and a copy of Mariah Carey’s Merry Christmas album. It’s a total classic, especially that legendary single “All I Want For Christmas Is You.” Despite the fact that it’s 26 years old, it’s just as catchy as ever. Well, at least I think so – some people apparently disagree as it’s just been voted the most annoying Christmas song ever.
- “All I Want For Christmas Is You” has been an unprecedented success. To date, it’s sold over 16 million copies worldwide and has earned over $60 million in royalties. In fact, it’s so popular that in 2019, a full 25 years after its initial release, it topped the Billboard Hot 100 for the very first time. Needless to say, this one was a winner.
- Brits are really sick of it, however. In a British poll by Huawei to celebrate the release of their new headphones, the company asked which holiday songs people would really rather not listen to this year. Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas Is You” topped the list. Clearly, people are very Grinchy this time of year!
- There were some other classics on the list. Other Christmas songs Brits found annoying included “Do They Know It’s Christmas?” by Band Aid, which came in at number two, followed by “I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day” by Wizzard in the third position.
- But that’s not all! The Pogues’ “Fairytale of New York,” Tom Jones’ and Cerys Matthews’ version of “Baby, It’s Cold Outside”, and the Jackson 5’s “Santa Claus Is Coming To Town” were next on the list, followed by Eartha Kitt’s “Santa Baby” and the Andrews Sisters’ rendition of “Jingle Bells.”
- Admittedly, some of these songs are overplayed. However, that’s part of what makes them good. Christmas comes but once a year, and hearing these holiday classics kinda set the mood, don’t you think? I don’t know about you, but I’ll be blasting Mariah until Santa gets here!