McDonald’s Order Mistake Leaves ‘Traumatized’ Vegetarian ‘Vomiting And In Tears’

McDonald’s Order Mistake Leaves ‘Traumatized’ Vegetarian ‘Vomiting And In Tears’ McDonald's UK

A vegetarian woman was left “traumatized” after she accidentally ate meat for the first time due to a serious McDonald’s order error. Charlotte Sunshine, 26, ordered a veggie deluxe meal at a McDonald’s in Edinburgh, Scotland but was left “vomiting and in tears” after a single bite when she realized she’d been given chicken instead.

  1. She took to Twitter to share her upset. After sharing her story on Twitter, Charlotte said she didn’t care how much “backlash” she gets from speaking out. “I’m completely traumatized from being given chicken that’s labeled as a veggie burger when I’ve never eaten in my life.”
  2. Charlotte was physically ill from the bite of burger. It may seem silly, but someone who’s never eaten meat can feel nauseous or even vomit when they suddenly introduce animal protein into their diets. “I’ve vomited and I still feel sick, it is DANGEROUS to mislabel food!!!” Charlotte wrote.
  3. She knew right away that it wasn’t meat. “I immediately burst into tears and was physically sick. I was really hungry and looking forward to it,” she wrote. “I took a bite into it and then when I swallowed I realized this was not what I was expecting to bite into. Because I’ve never eaten meat, it didn’t really register that it tasted like meat because I didn’t know what [meat] tasted like. It tasted similar to Quorn but the veggie deluxe doesn’t taste like that.”
  4. She was so upset that she had to call her boyfriend for moral support. Charlotte shared that she “froze” when she realized what she’d eaten and messaged her boyfriend to say that she was “really panicking.” She then got him to come and pick her up. “I didn’t want to be on my own and I needed some moral support. He was upset on my behalf too.”
  5. Charlotte has now sworn off McDonald’s forever. While she really liked the veggie deluxe previously when she couldn’t bother to cook, she’s now sworn that she’ll “never eat at McDonald’s again.” She added: “I was feeling ill the whole night and then right into the next day.”
  6. McDonald’s has issued a statement in regards to the incident. “We recognize that it is not acceptable to serve meat when a vegetarian product has been ordered, and we sincerely apologize to the customer for the mistake that was made in this instance,” the company said. “We have a number of procedures in place to avoid inaccurate orders, but in this case, these were not followed, and we are looking into why this occurred. Our Customer Services Team is currently in contact with the customer to help find a resolution.”
Jennifer Still is a writer and editor with more than 10 years of experience. The managing editor of Bolde, she has bylines in Vanity Fair, Business Insider, The New York Times, Glamour, Bon Appetit, and many more. You can follow her on Twitter @jenniferlstill