Do you miss having someone to cuddle with? Do you practically swoon every time someone gives you a hug because you’re just that touch-starved? Unfortunately, it can be hard to get physical affection when you’re single, and the pandemic hasn’t been much of a help. If you’re feeling lonely and missing physical touch, here are nine ways to get your needs met.
- Get your hair done. When you go to a salon, many places will wash your hair before cutting and styling it. This is a great way to get some non-sexual physical touch. It feels just like a scalp massage, and it’s usually lumped into the cost of the haircut. Also, if you have an event coming up, don’t be afraid to ask a friend to help you recreate a certain hairstyle. You don’t have to go to a professional salon if you have a friend that likes to braid hair!
- Find some new bedding options. And by bedding options, I mean go buy a weighted blanket and a body pillow! Body pillows are so comfortable to snuggle with in bed, and a weighted blanket will help soothe your body and lower any anxiety you might have. Or if you can’t find a weighted blanket that fits your budget, you can always improvise. Try falling asleep with a bag of rice on your chest. It feels like someone resting their head on your chest. 10/10 would recommend.
- Get a massage. While this is probably the most obvious option out there, in order for it to work, you have to actually go do it. Go to a massage parlor and get a massage. It’s one of the best ways to meet your physical touch needs. Alternatively, you can find a place like Costco that will let you try their massage chairs. I’ve also seen massage chairs at the mall, where you pay a dollar for five minutes. When you’re missing physical touch, this can be a great help.
- Focus on yourself. There are so many ways to meet your own need for physical touch. Buy a new blanket to cuddle with. (Perhaps the weighted blanket we just talked about?) Try out a new body wash. If you normally go for hot showers, try a cold shower. Wear new types of clothes, and give your body different textures to feel and experience, like corduroy and velvet. Focus on the things you can physically feel. And of course, don’t be afraid to touch yourself. That’s the easiest way to meet your own needs.
- Hug friends and family when you see them. When you see your friends and family, do you awkwardly stand there and just use words to say how you’re so happy to see them? You’re missing prime opportunities here. Instead of just standing in front of each other, greet them with a hug. It doesn’t have to be long or awkward, just hold out your arms for a hug as you say hello. Most people will automatically hug you if you’re receptive to it. Once your friends are used to greeting hugs, you can start giving goodbye hugs as well, right before they go out the door. If you have four friends over, and you hug each of them hello and goodbye, that’s eight hugs!
- Listen to ASMR. This one might seem weird if you’re new to the idea of ASMR. Basically, ASMR is very soft audio, usually whispering, that is meant to copy the feeling of closeness through sound. It’s not for everyone, but if you find some whisper ASMR that you enjoy, it’s a good way to simulate that closeness that you’re missing. You can find a lot of ASMR content for free on YouTube.
- Spend time with a cuddly pet. If you have a cuddly pet, like a cat or a dog, you’re in luck! Cuddling with your pet has a lot of proven health benefits, like increasing the oxytocin in your brain. Oxytocin is the love hormone that is also released when a mother gives birth. It’s an incredibly powerful hormone that will make you feel better instantly! And if that isn’t enough, you should cuddle with pets because they’re just so cute. You can also ask a friend if you can borrow their pet to cuddle with. You won’t be missing physical touch for much longer when you have a furry friend to hug.
- Get your nails done. Personally, I tend to forget about this one. Another great way to get in some physical touch is to go get a manicure. There’s just something relaxing about someone holding your hand while they paint your nails. You can also get a pedicure while you’re at it. If you’re on a budget, you can always give yourself a manicure at home, or you can get together with some friends and do each other’s nails.
- Attend a dance class. And last but not least, if you’re looking for some ways to get physical touch, sign up for a dance class! Dancing is the perfect solution for people who want some more physical touch in their lives. Plus, it’s a great way to exercise, make some new friends, and enjoy some cool music. You can get that physical touch and make some awesome memories at the same time!