A London woman was heartbroken when she discovered her new husband was having a baby with her own mother only nine months after her mom paid nearly $20,000 to fund their dream wedding. Lauren Hall, 34, said she’ll never forgive her mom, and who could blame her?
- Lauren was only 19 when she married Paul. Her mom, Julie, who’s now 53 but was 38 at the time, generously shelled out £15,000 for the ceremony so they took her along on the honeymoon to Devon as a token of their appreciation.
- Paul began changing immediately after the wedding. Lauren said that Paul became really secretive with his phone and Lauren’s sister even saw texts between Paul and Julie on Julie’s phone. When Lauren confronted her mom about it, she denied it and told Lauren that she was being crazy. Classic gaslighting! Paul, however, just “went white as a sheet” and refused to let her see his phone.
- Eight weeks after the wedding, the marriage was over. Not even two months after Lauren and Paul said “I do,” Paul moved out of the house the couple shared, the Daily Mail reports. Not only did he leave his wife behind but also their 7-month-old daughter!
- Paul then moved in with Lauren’s mom. Lauren and Julie ceased contact after Paul left, but it wasn’t long until word got back to Lauren that her new husband had moved in with her mother. Not only that, but she even saw Julie walking down the street with a baby bump. “When I saw her in the street and noticed she had a bump, my mind raced,” Lauren recalled. “She clutched her stomach and told me, ‘It’s a cyst.’ I felt so sick, I went home and destroyed all the photos of our wedding.”
- Nine months later, Lauren’s mom was having Paul’s baby. “Paul always got on really well with mum. I never thought it strange though, as she was his mum-in-law and he was just being friendly,” Lauren recalled. “They’d laugh a lot together. I didn’t think to be worried at all. Who would?”
- Lauren will never get over the betrayal. As you can imagine, having your mother steal your husband and the father of your child, only to marry him herself and have a baby with him is a betrayal Lauren won’t soon forget. “It was sick. It’s one of the worst things a mum can do to a daughter. Paul may have been a gutless groom but she’s my mum. She’s meant to love and protect me above all others,” she said.
- She still went to Julie and Paul’s wedding. Lauren admits that it was “awkward” (understatement of the century!) to attend her mom’s wedding to Paul, which happened almost five years to the day after Lauren and Paul exchanged vows. However, since her mom invited her, Lauren attended “for the sake of her daughter.”
- Lauren has a new partner now but the rift will never be healed. While Julie has tried to build bridges with Lauren, Lauren rightly feels like she may never fully get over what her mom did to her and their relationship is still strained. However, she does have a wonderful new partner who thankfully has no interest in her mother, so there’s that!