Apparently it’s a bad thing to love your job so much it hurts, and to want to wake up every morning with a purpose and a smile on your face. Nothing could be further from the truth. Here’s why you should never say sorry for being a workaholic:
- This is your time. You’re young, you’re free, you’re still capable of dreaming as big as you desire. Why not take advantage of that and work your butt off? If you want to work every Sunday because you truly enjoy it, there’s literally nothing wrong with that. This is the time to build your life.
- Loving your job stops the burnout. Eventually, you can’t work 7 days a week without getting a bad cold or worse. Your body needs rest and you should stay as healthy as you can. But if you’re having fun, you’ll be able to work for longer periods of time without feeling the negative effects. It’s a nice bonus.
- Work and love aren’t bitter rivals. For some reason the universe thinks that if you’re unattached and you love your career, that means you never, ever want a boyfriend. Can you say “illogical”? You can work up a storm and still go on dates or be part of a relationship.
- You spend most of your life working. Unless you take time off to have a family (and there’s nothing wrong with that), you’re going to need a job for a long, long time. You might as well get a head start on being okay with that now.
- A work ethic is impressive. In today’s weird world, it’s pretty awesome if you care about your career and have goals that you want to cross off your list. While everyone else is Netflix and chilling, you’re following your dreams and making sure you get the life that you want.
- Hard work is attractive. Sure, some guys may be intimidated by smart girls who aren’t afraid of 14-hour work days or going the extra mile. Totally their loss. You’ll meet someone who’s crazy about how crazy hard you work.
- It’s a double standard. How many movies and books are there where husbands are super absent because they work all the time? How many guys have you met who actually have jobs? Exactly. It’s such an annoying and sexist double standard that if a guy cares about his job, he’s a god but if a girl does, she’s crazy/a prude/destined to be alone forever.
- Guyss don’t last forever. Sure, you might get fired or switch jobs or change career fields entirely, but you’ll always be in love with working if that’s who you are. You won’t always love the guy you’re currently seeing or any of the other ones that are in your near and distant future. Work is a smart investment.
- It’s better than the alternative. The next time someone shames you for being a workaholic, ask if they’d rather you were a lazy bum living in your parents’ house forever. That’ll shut them up. Hopefully.