A 6-year-old Ohio boy was tragically killed while holding onto his mother’s car after she tried to abandon him and his siblings. Brittany Gosney, 28, went to the Middletown Division of Police on February 28 claiming that her young son, James Hitchinson, had gone missing. However, authorities soon discovered that the boy was dead and that Gosney and her boyfriend, James Hamilton, had dumped his body in the Ohio River, WLWT reports.
- James was dragged to his death from his mother’s car. Days prior to Gosney reporting James as missing, the little boy was killed at Rush Run Wildlife Area in Preble County after her plan to abandon James and his two siblings at a local park went wrong. According to authorities, Gosney’s boyfriend had been pressuring her to get rid of the kids and she was finally going ahead with it. However, James ran back to the car to try and stop his mother leaving him and was killed.
- The boy lost his life because he was desperate for his mother’s love. “Brittany stated she had planned to get the kids out of the vehicle and to leave them behind as Hamilton had been pressuring her to get rid of the kids,” the police report revealed. “When doing this, the 6-year-old, Hutchinson, grabbed onto the door handle. Brittany slammed the gas trying to leave the kids and drug Hutchinson, possibly running him over.” After going back to check on the boy, she discovered him dead in the parking lot, the report states.
- Gosney and her boyfriend callously dumped the boy’s body. After putting James’ body back in the car, they took him back to the house and placed him in a spare bedroom. They also took his two siblings, aged 7 and 9, back to the house as well. The next night, when the other two children were asleep, Gosney and Hamilton put James’ body in the car and drove to a bridge over the Ohio River and dropped the boy in.
- James’ father, Lewis Hutchinson, is heartbroken by his son’s loss. “All she had to do was give him to me,” he told My News 4. “She could have dropped him off at my sister’s house. I don’t understand what would drive somebody to be a monster like that.”
- Gosney and Hamilton have now been arrested. Gosney was charged with murder and is being held on $1 million bail, while Hamilton was charged with abuse of a corpse and tampering with evidence. Both remain in custody in Middletown and James’ two siblings have been removed from the home.