Guys always joke about being in the “friend zone” with a woman, but is that really such a bad place to be? Platonic relationships between other genders are rare, but they’re some of the best friendships a girl can have. Guy friends provide the male companionship without all the fluff of a romantic partnership. They’re the backbone to surviving single life, expert counselors for all of our dating woes, and they never judge us for the gross stuff we do when we’re around them. With this in mind, here’s is my open letter to my best guy friend.
- Your perspective changed my life. You’ve given me an insight into the male brain and because of that, I’m forever grateful. You invited me into your one-man wolf pack and taught me how to see things from a completely new perspective, which has helped me to understand all the bizarre and ridiculous crap men do and say. It’s because of you that I remain hopeful for all the good guys just like you who are still out there.
- You bring my inner bro out, and I kind of love it. We watch sports, I make you watch chick flicks (which I think you secretly love), and you let me burp without saying, “Excuse me.” Thank you for not holding me to proper lady conduct, which can be exhausting and total BS, anyway. Thank you for being the breath of fresh air in my day.
- You’re always there for me. I’ve come to you crying over a guy at least once or twice, and you always welcome me with open arms. You always return my phone calls and you always make time for me when I need it the most. I’m sorry that you sometimes have to see me a complete mess and have to try and translate what I’m saying through tears, but I want you to know that I’m so glad to have you, and that if you ever need me, I’ll always have your back.
- You tell it like it is, which makes me stronger. You don’t sugar-coat anything, and as much as I might protest at times, I know your honesty has helped me to realize situations for what they actually are. When a guy isn’t into me, you give me unfiltered reasoning and you don’t worry about hurting my feelings because you actually care about me. You’d rather see me hurt from ending it with a guy who isn’t worth the struggle than waste years of my life not being completely happy.
- You comfort me without getting creepy. Thank you for not making sexual passes at me or trying to get in my pants. Thank you for being that guy who I can snuggle up to when I’m at my lowest moments and not taking it as a signal for anything more than just comfort.
- You agree with me when I need it most. When I just want to vent about an ex-boyfriend or a mini-crisis I’m having in my life, you agree with me at crucial moments where I just need someone to be on board with me and be like, “Yeah, screw that guy” You’re my buddy and I love you, bro.
- Thank you for never judging me. You don’t care if I forgot to contour my face or if I went a little bit overboard on power texting a dude I’ve been dating. You don’t judge me for anything. You don’t lecture me on why I shouldn’t have done something, or guilt me for behaving in a way that was less than ideal. You accept me fully for the person that I am and you encourage me to do and become better in a very simple way. For that, you’re my best friend and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Thank you for being the best guy friend a girl could ever ask for.